Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help with grammar    

help with grammar

silviamontra
Spain

help with grammar

Hi all,

I have a question, and I �d appreciate your help. When you are describing a meal what do you say?

a. We had onion soup AS a starter
b. we had onion soup FOR starter
c. others ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hugs

23 Feb 2010      

SaraMariam
United States

Hi Silvia 
I know the expression A soup for starters.
I hope it helps :)
Hugs, Sara

23 Feb 2010     

mimau
France

I would say "...for starter"

23 Feb 2010     

silviamontra
Spain

Thanks for your help, so, how does this sound to you (it doesn �t really sound ok to me):
We went to a great restaurant last night and we had a great meal which consisted of onion soup for starter, roast beef for the main course with a side  dish of boiled vegetables and finally a lovely piece of apple pie for dessert.

Any improvements to be made? Any suggestions to make it sound more natural?

Thanks again

23 Feb 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

We went to a great restaurant last night and we had a great meal which consisted of onion soup for starters, roast beef for the main course with a side  dish of boiled vegetables and finally a lovely piece of apple pie fordessert.

Sounds normal to me, just the s behind starter is missing.

23 Feb 2010     

dennismychina
China

Unless there is a typing error in �b�, (starter) there is only one answer and it is �a�

starter being singular.

If starter was plural, then for would have been correct.

Enjoy.

24 Feb 2010     

alien boy
Japan

you could also use �entree � rather than �starter(s) � when talking about dining, particularly if you describe the meal interms of �course(s) �. It is quite common to use �main(s) � rather than �main course � when using �starter(s) � for the initial dish.

Cheers,
AB

24 Feb 2010