Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Big Confusion    

Big Confusion

avanti1484
India

Big Confusion

Hi 
One of my colleagues asked  me this question.
When was he born? is correct.
When did he die? is correct
But why cant we replace did with was in the second question. e.g. when was he die? 
can you think of any satisfactory reason why it would be wrong.................................
Big confusion please help...............

24 Feb 2010      

Zora
Canada

Because "die" is a regular verb... It �s as simple as that. 

24 Feb 2010     

avanti1484
India

Hii thanks sorry didnt occur to me

24 Feb 2010     

danutz
Germany

Because to be born is passive

24 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

born is an adjective in this case, die is not!

24 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

danutz - is right - was born - is in Passive

24 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Actually, it is a passive. The verb "to bear"... is not used very often in the active tense when used for people or animals. Although, for plants, it is always used in the active tense.

But here the reason is quite simple "to die" is a regular verb whereas "to bear" isn �t.  

24 Feb 2010     

ciortea
Slovakia

It doesnt matter if the verb is regular or irregular because we form questions with do or did with both regular or irregular - Where did you go? (go is irregular) Where did they play the match? (play - regular). 
The reason is as it was said born is in passive form. 

24 Feb 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

to be born is passive - was done by the mother
dying is something you do yourself, so it is active

24 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

@ciortea

When I said "regular" verb I wasn �t talking about an "ed" ending ... I was referring to how it is used and how the verb is formed.

"To bear" is not used as a normal verb is.. it is used mostly in the passive tense whereas "to die" has a "regular" verb usage. It �s forms are the normal ones associated to verbs used in a "normal fashion".

24 Feb 2010     

myteacher
Turkey

Because to be born is a passive structure. We don �t do this action. It is done by our mother. But to die is an active verb. That is the reason.

24 Feb 2010