Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > British Superstitions    

British Superstitions

rmkovac
Bosnia and Herzegovina

I rememered one more: it �s bad luck if a black cat crosses your path...

27 Feb 2010     

Pachy
Spain

IN Spain, it �s also considered bad luck to walk under a ladder. What about in Britain?

27 Feb 2010     

mushk@
Belarus

The same is about Britain. But what about black cats? Some sources say it is a good luck to meet a black cat, others say that a black cat crossing your way brings misfortunes.Wacko What shoul I think? May be any native speaker can explain the difference if there is one?

27 Feb 2010     

SueThom
United States

I �ve always heard it was bad luck to have a black cat cross your path, so if you saw one up ahead of you, you changed the direction you were walking in. 

Touching wood = good luck?  Hadn �t heard that one, but if you talk about something bad not happening, you knock on wood so that it won �t.  (e.g. "I �m sure the weather will be nice for our annual picnic this weekend, because it �s never rained on that day.  Oops!" [knock, knock]

28 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

Opening an umbrella in-doors.
A black cat crossing your path.

- are considered bad luck.

For good luck - always enter a room with your right foot first.
                       -  pull on your ear when you hear bad news. (so it won�t happen to you)

28 Feb 2010     

roneydirt
United States

4 is bad luck in China.  It sounds like the word death.

Now there were some good ones.  There is some interesting history behind many of those good and bad luck items.  I would suggest reading the history or precieved history behind them.  Of course that is the amatuer historian in me.  Let �s not forget about stepping on a crack, or when walking with friends splitting poles when walking with friends. (splitting poles means they allow the pole to go between the group as they are walking.  Finding a penny (coin) bottom up is also old bad luck, suppose to throw it over your left shoulder to hit the devil in the eye, just like spilt salt.

28 Feb 2010     

SueThom
United States

"Step on a crack, you break your mother �s back.
Step on a line, you break your mother �s spine."

That �s what I learned as a child, so we were always trying to avoid the cracks or lines in the sidewalk as we walked along.

And if you and someone else walked on opposite sides of a pole, you each had to say "bread and butter" or it meant you �d soon get into a fight/argument.

Oh, and seeing a penny on the ground:
"See a penny, pick it up,
All the day you �ll have good luck.
See a penny, leave it lay,
Bad luck will follow all the day."

1 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2