Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "can -can īt" different activities needed    

"can -can īt" different activities needed

samsunmustafa
Turkey

"can -can īt" different activities needed

Dear helpful teachers,I have explained the subject of can-can īt to the 10 year old pupils but I need extra entertaining activities.If you know any nice activities please help me .Thanks in advance.

28 Feb 2010      

boydegg
Thailand

Divide the class in half. Assign each student a partner in the opposite group.  Each student knows who their partner is, but the two groups sit separated so partners can īt communicate in stage one.

Give all of group A a list like this:

My friend can/can īt ride a bicycle.
My friend can/can īt sing an English song.
My friend can/can īt play the piano.

etc etc  ... about 6 to 8 of these should be fine.

Give a similar list to group B, but with a different set of sentences.

The idea is that each student looks at their partner and tries to GUESS if they can or can īt do each of the things in the list.  They delete īcan � or īcan īt appropriately.

In stage two, students sit together with their partners (face to face) and ask questions to find out how many correct guesses they īve made.

So ...

Can you ride a bicycle?
Can you sing an English song?

As a feedback, you can invite students to make a sentence using this structure ...

"_______ can ________ but she can īt _______."

eg "Kimiko can play the piano, but she can īt juggle."

Hope this helps and hope I īve expained it clearly.

Brian

28 Feb 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi, I teach can-can īt for ability in 4th grade so my students are a little younger (9) and they are pretty much beginners. When closing the can-can īt part i usually invite them one by one to the front of the class (I have a group of 15 so it is possible- might be harder for a bigger group) and invite them to tell about themselves. Just talk in English. I write some prompts on the boards to get them started (which review previously learned material) such as; My name is... I am... years old.. I am wearing ...I can.....
It is surprisingly simple but they love it! They love talking about themselves and they are generally impressed with their own ability to speak in English.

28 Feb 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I use a game I īve seen on the net called � īProve It � �.  
You make a list or have the students make a list of some funny things people can or can īt do.  
For example:

Can you make a funny face?
Can you count from twenty backwards?
Can you wiggle your ears?
Can you imitate a monkey?
Can you wiggle your nose?
Can you hop backwards?

The student  then answers yes, I can or no I can īt.  If the student answers yes, I can  to any of these questions the students then shout out � īProve It � � and the student has to show she or he can do it.

28 Feb 2010     

SMAgnes
Hungary

Hi!

Tell them sentences that they can act out.

You can ride a bike.

Then give them the chance to tell you sentences and you"ll act out.

They īll love it

Good Day

28 Feb 2010     

ms.amira
Egypt

Dear member,

I teach expressing ability to much younger students(6-8) and a very helpful game is to use animals to illustrate;for example:
Can a bird fly?Yes,it can.
Can a fish sing?No,it can īt

OR:In statement form
A dog can run.
A dog can īt talk.

Use funny pictures( a dog trying to talk or a cat rying to fly) to illustrate<the pictures will help them grasp the material and they will have a blast.......Good luck
Ms.Amira

28 Feb 2010