Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > just a question    

just a question

poki
Slovenia

just a question

I came across a problem. Which of these sentences is correct?

My favourite food is pizza and spaghetti.
My favourite food are pizza and spaghetti.

The thing is, that food is usually an uncountable noun, so it should be used in singular. But in this case, I �m not sure anymore. Ermm

Thank you for your help!!

Polona

28 Feb 2010      

ARaquelSP
Portugal

I �d say "My favourite food is pizza and spaghetti". Can �t explain why, but it sounds better than the other option.

28 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

My favorite food IS pizza and spaghetti. - Why? Because the "subject" which is "My favourite food" is singular.

Now... many teachers teach that food is uncountable - which isn �t true - and therefore, we could also say: My favourite foodS are pizza and spaghetti.

28 Feb 2010     

amely13
Ukraine

the first is correct. My favourite food - it is a subject, we always use to be in conjunction with a subject.

28 Feb 2010     

poki
Slovenia

Thanks for your quick answers!!!

Zora, I knew there was something about foods, but I wasn �t sure. Even my dictionary wasn �t helpful here.

Anyway, I �ll stick with the singular. Big smile

Thank you again!
Polona

28 Feb 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Zora is always right!  (she �s a walking grammar book!)

28 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Zora �s grammar is correct, of course, but pizza and spaghetti are two different foods, so I would say, "My favorite foods are pizza and spaghetti."
Bruce

1 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

Actually Bruce, here the subject does not need to be in agreement with what comes after the verb - the only thing that �s is important is the subject verb agreement since it �s not like the "there is/are" rule.

Besides - "food" can be considered uncountable - AND in that case the "is" is perfectly correct.

1 Mar 2010