Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary lists    

vocabulary lists

jennybohmes
Argentina

vocabulary lists

Nex week English classes will be starting in some areas here in Argentina. I need some help with lesson plans because I have not much experience with that.My question issssss (As we, will be making a review the first weeks) Will be a good idea for 9 years old kids to make (with teacher�s help)vocabulary lists (of the voc. seen last year)? For example: If we are reviewing likes and dislikes, make a list of food  or sports. Would this type of ex. be too boring?
Can anyone help me?

1 Mar 2010      

Stepha
Portugal

You can do it as a brainstorming session game for instance, either dividing them in teams or all together. You can ask them to name all the sports, food, etc,  they can remember in English and afterwards you ask them to write everything in their notebooks, or you can give them ws with pictures to label. My ss love working in teams and I ask them to give their team a name so at the end of the activity the winning team has some sort of prize. They also like it when I bring a small teddy or a ball to class, I throw it and the kid  that catches it has to say a word from the vocabulary being reviewed and I do it with all ss for as long as I feel it �s useful. Another option is giving them crosswords and asking them to translate the words before doing it. These are some of the strategies I use, hope it helps!

1 Mar 2010     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Thank you Stepha, that was very useful!Clap

1 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

you may ask which food do you like better - and make pairs...
eg apple x banana etc... I like apples, because they grow in our garden. They are big red and sweet and I love Grandma�s apple pie!!!
comparing - which fruit is the biggest - orange - grapefruit - melon ?
longest, sweetest, juiciest, sourest, with seeds, red and green etc...

Play a game - I am Miss .... I am big and round. I am sweet. I am orange. I come from .... Who am I?
Students: Are you Miss Grapefruit? No, I am not, I am sweet and grapefruits are bittersweet.
Students: Are you Miss Orange? Yes, I am. (and show a flashcard of an orange)

1 Mar 2010