Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Happy Baba Marta!    

Happy Baba Marta!

Pelletrine
France

Dear Allisa,

I have always wondered about the origin of Baba Yaga... What does HER name mean?

Lovely 1st March to you :o))

1 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Baba Yaga is Slavic - Russian, I think... Old ugly witch (living in an old hut) she is...
I first heard her name while listening to Russian folk stories (fairy-tales...)
We don �t have Baba Yaga. Czechs call her "yedgibaba" (Je�ibaba).

Baba Yaga is a witch-like character in Slavic folklore. She flies around on a giant mortar or broomstick, kidnaps (and presumably eats) small children, and lives in a hut which stands on chicken legs. In most Slavic folk tales she is portrayed as an antagonist; however, some characters in other mythological folk stories have been known to seek her out for her wisdom, and she has been known on occasion to offer guidance to lost souls, although this is seen as rare.

The second element, yaga, is from Proto-Slavic (j)ęgа, which is probably related to Lithuanian ingis �lazybones, sluggard �, Old Norse ekki �pain �, and Old English inca �question, scruple, doubt; grievance, quarrel �. It has also been suggested that Yaga may be a diminutive of the feminine name Jadwiga.

Believe me, baba Yaga and Czech Yedgibabas are hooorible. I used  to have nightmares about them. I woke up in my dream and heard a noise coming from your living room. Guess what? Yedgibabas were having a meeting there!!! Booo! Evil Smile  Censored
I don �t want to see them in my dreams anymore!

1 Mar 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

1 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2