Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to teach a language    

How to teach a language

zailda
Brazil

How to teach a language

I �ve just found it:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_Teach_a_Language

Do you agree? Do you have something to add?

2 Mar 2010      

lshorton99
China

Agree with some, disagree with other bits! It �s the kind of thing I would have found really useful when I did my CELTA and my tutors would have ridiculed when I did my DELTA!

2 Mar 2010     

serene
Greece

Thanks for the link Zailda!

I �ve just skimmed through the text but I �ve paid more attention to the Teaching Listening and Teaching Reading parts. And, yes, I can say I totally agree. 

2 Mar 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Hi Zailda,

I suppose a short article like this has to be somewhat vague and general but I can hardly imagine myself in the author �s shoes.  To my mind the title or the introduction should narrow the field down to a more specific group other than "12 pairs of eyes".  The author (authors) says that the students don �t know the language, but goes on to presume that they can read and write many words in the English language.

These days I teach mostly children, I also teach mixed levelled classes of about 40 first-year university students who have just finished six years of studying English through a grammar translation method.  I feel very little of the article refers to or is useful to my own teaching situation.

Regards,
David

2 Mar 2010