Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teachin vocabulary    

Teachin vocabulary

minso
Egypt

Teachin vocabulary

Hello sweet teachers , i ve presentation tomorrow for my colleagues , the presentation is about teaching vocabulary so does any body have some ideas about new ways to present vocabulary in the class in a dynamic way?

thanks in advanceSmile

3 Mar 2010      

Catalina Sorina
Romania

I play Bingo with my students:
Let �s say the topic is Food. Give the students a list of 10-12 words related to food and ask them to draw a 3x3 grid, like in noughts and crosses. Then ask them to choose 9 words from the list and complete the grid. Then you can either elicit the words in a random order, or you can read them a short text which includes all the words in the list.
Make sure you use all 10-12 words, so every student can shout "Bingo!", else they get frustrated.

Hope it �s useful!

3 Mar 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Hi dear. Have a look here:
http://www.phschool.com/eteach/language_arts/2002_10/essay.html#Tips
http://www.eslflow.com/vocabularylessonplans.html

3 Mar 2010     

deeedee
Spain

Hi, this is not really new, but this is what I do.  I give a short vocabulary list taken from a text that we are going to read.  I use riddles to describe each word and they have to guess the meaning of each.  After writing down the definitions, we read the text.  We re-translate what �s necessary, if they don �t remember.  Then I follow up with questions about the text (oral first, then written), a summary of the text, written True/False about the text and a Dictation with sentences using the same vocabulary (and structures being studied).  There are many ways to incorporate the vocabulary and after all of this practice, they learn it!

Hope this helps you.

Best wishes

3 Mar 2010     

minso
Egypt

Thanksssssssssssssssssssssss a millioooooooooooooon

3 Mar 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Flashcards are a good idea....
You mingle some pictures and the corresponding vocabulary and divide the class into two teams.
You put the vocabulary in one envelope and the pictures in another envelope.You repeat the same procedure .Then you ask each team to try and match as soon as possible the concepts to the pictures .
The team who finishes first wins!!
Then you ask the winner group to paste the pictures and the appropriate words in the blackboard with blutak.Hope it is useful!!

3 Mar 2010     

MartaZ
Poland

When I teach �toys � for example, I find a poster or a picture depicting as many toys as possible. I prepare small slips of paper with the names of toys and together with students we stick the names onto the poster - Blutack is very useful here. Then you can do pronunciation drill and play vocabulary games for practice.
E.g. you can ask Ss to turn around andwhen they �re not looking remove some of the words from the poster. Then ask Ss which words are missing. It �s a game you can easily play with flashcards. Kids love it!

Good luck tomorrow!!! Fingers crossed :)
Marta

3 Mar 2010     

minso
Egypt

i really love you guysssssssssssssssssssssssss , i �m new here and i didn� expect how wonderful are you thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

3 Mar 2010     

joannajs
Poland

Hi there,

Any kind of games are good e.g. Taboo - divide group into teams. You select a word the group/opposite team has to guess and 3-5 words - depending on the level of your students - which a student can �t use while describing the word e.g. the key word to guess is SCHOOL, the student can �t use the words: teacher, student, classroom, whiteboard. Another fine game is Pictionary (students playing in teams take turns to draw particular vocabulary items you want to recycle - timer/hourglass is needed for the game), Guesstures (same principle - students mime words), Scrabble etc.
Usually what makes things memorable is talking about themselves. After all we are all a bit egocentric, aren �t we Wink My friend calls it "the language of I". So any kind of tasks involving an anecdote about themselves would be valuable and memorable. But instead of asking them to tell you e.g. about their most treasured possession (and their minds go blank), prepare a set of questions they might want to use (pick and choose) like: what is it made of? How old is it? How long have you had it? Did someone give it to you or did you get it yourself? (activity from Inside Out coursebook) etc. Give them a moment about vocabulary and structures they might need and after a minute or two ask them to tell this to their partner. This way you can recycle relationships in the family, materials etc.

Have fun with your presentation Thumbs Up

3 Mar 2010