Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dear teachers...about present perfect tense    

Dear teachers...about present perfect tense

bluefadilmen
Turkey

Dear teachers...about present perfect tense

pls can you give me some advise about presenting present perfect tense. it should be interactive and visual. the age is 15-17 and should finish in an hour. 

3 Mar 2010      

GIOVANNI
Canada

If you are looking for something interactive and visual for the Present Perfect you should check  our powerpoint and  on line exercise contributions.  There are a few that are useful.

3 Mar 2010     

deeedee
Spain

Hmmm.  Advice on present perfect.  In one hour?  I spend MANY classes teaching the present perfect.  To introduce it for the first time, I generally contrast it with the past.  You can draw a line on the board connecting two dots and write �past � and �present � under each dot.  Explain that the actions happening anywhere on the line before the �present � dot are past actions, but if you refer to actions that have just happened or actions that have happened in a period of time which started in the past and continues to the present (like: this week, today, this month, since 2008, my life...), then those actions would require present perfect.  Then you explain the structure of the tense (Subj+have/has+past participle) with examples on the board.  You might then ask oral questions using �just � and �ever � for them to get the feel of actions that have just happened and actions that have happened in a period of time continuing in the present.

Examples: 

Have you just raised your hand?  Have you just spoken to your friend?  Have you just had lunch?// Have you ever been on a plane?  Have you ever eaten paella?  Have you ever had an accident?

Note that the follow-up questions for these (if you want to initiate a conversation) will be in the past as you ask for details.  (Have you just had lunch?  What did you have?)

I would continue with a written text (using PP) to be read out loud, with comprehension questions at the end.  They could also write a summary.  I think the hour would be up by now...

Hope this helps.

3 Mar 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

You should find some ideas here.

4 Mar 2010