Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > ---    

---

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

It �s good this topic is back on the forum.
I want to ask everyone to contribute some of your time to clean up. Just see a couple of recent wss a day that don �t look original and check them. This way we �ll be able to prevent this site from becoming home of the borrowers. Together we can do it.
And some kind of fee doesn�t sound too bad. I would pay though i don �t have paypal, but i would figure something out. There has to be a way to stop what �s happening now.

4 Mar 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Part of the problem is that the moderators  cannot be expected to know every possible book or website that may be copied from. Therefore I believe it is up to us all to report anything that we positively recognize as a copy.

However this reporting should not be just to be nasty. You must be sure of the facts and if possible quote the source.

I worry now that we have fewer moderators as it is a big job and they cannot be expected to know everything. So get off their backs , people, they do a great job.

Unfortunately now that the site has become so popular we will get the ratbags...I �m not sure there is a lot we can do to stop it.
I guess we just have to trust each other.
Yes, I know I �m naive and living in "cloud cuckoo land."
But I still believe in people.
Cheers Joy

4 Mar 2010     

eng789
Israel

I don �t think a fee will help - they �ll just pay it  and keep doing their thing.   Maybe 30 downloads isn �t enough to become a premium user.  A lot of losers come into the site hoping to get something for nothing  and leave when they hear that they need to upload.  Maybe if the number was higher they would stop.   Like 50 downloads - which means that they uploaded something legal and worth downloading.
Just a thought.

Keep smiling although I know it is very troubling.

Barbara

4 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

see, the premium member thing is also a way to support those who do original wss, because the more premium members there are the more chances for your wss to be downloaded by somebody. So i don �t know if it �s a way.
The best way i think for all of us to start our campaign against borrowers on this site. AFS campaign was supported greatly, may be we should start cleaning our community all together.

4 Mar 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

and so you should Joy, good for you. Thumbs Up

4 Mar 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I, for one, am always glad to see there are more honest people here, ready and willing to work and share, living this vocation of teaching with the pride and dedication it so richly deserves.
I will never ever understand the other kind!!!!! Never ever!!!! Thank you for drawing our attention to that and for sharing your anger, frustration and disappointment with us. Not so long ago, I realised that one of the members here was a colleague who worked with me, and he had uploaded here some of the work I had sent him via e-mail in complete trust, without even thinking he might use it that way. His excuse was (get this) � Well, you sent me so much stuff I had no idea that particular work was yours! �. I replied: �Who cares whose work it was - it wasn �t YOURS!!! � Anyway, I solved the problem and he is no longer a member here, but it �s so disappointing when someone does that and thinks nothing of it - it �s just a means to an end for him, whereas for me - it was hours of work and lots of gathered experience, and, above all, the trust with which I shared it with him and all of you here.
But I will keep on trusting and sharing - it �s in my nature. Or, as John Malkovich would put it, �It �s beyond my control �. Frankly, I sleep better that way...
There will always be thieves, but there will always be knights, too... Here and elsewhere. May the force always be with the knightsWink

4 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I �ve gotten into the habit of checking EVERY SINGLE ws that I suspect of... can �t say that it �s a pleasant job (I would much rather use this time to contribute to the site in more wss, but I send them as I make them for myself), but somehow it makes me happy. By happy, I mean, I feel more of a member in this website, this community of teachers, because I do believe in both. I don �t rejoice the act of reporting, but I think it �s too important for keeping the site in its original intention: SHARING ORIGINAL AND EDITABLE WORK - I didn �t read this anywhere, I �m just saying that �s what I feel.

Like David mentioned, when I see members writing in poor grammar (read: very incorrect English) and producing perfectly fine wss, what are we supposed to think?! That those people created those wss?! Too much for my thick head.

I believe I know who Regina is talking about and I do agree with her. But I guess that in time, they will see that this site has many �guardians �, or knights like Anita mentioned, and they �ll get to the conclusion that sooner or later, they �ll get caught.

Hope we can become a better and better website/community, and for that to happen, we need less members with bad intentions, and for that to happen, we need to have more and more members willing to help improving the site and also doing the �dirty work �, unfortunately.

At least, that �s what I think.

best wishes to all those "ESLprintables knights" we mentioned!

Hugs, Bruna.

4 Mar 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Regina,

you are absolutely right. Unfortunately there are always people who won �t "play" fair, and some who talk about reporters and moderators like they were doing something wrong. But I am afraid there is not much we can do. The only things we CAN do is keep reporting of stolen wss and not listen to those who say reporting or moderating is something wrong. As far as the reporters and moderators do their jobs according to the rules (and the rules are really clear now - thank you very much again, Victor;o), there is nothing wrong about it. It �s  hard and time-consuming job, so instead of punishing these people, we should say a BIG THANK YOU to them every single day.Hug

@David, nice to see you again. I am glad you are still around.Wink

4 Mar 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

4 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

definition of "moderator" in word reference:

un

someone who mediates disputes and attempts to avoid violence

When I "hear" people here complaining about stolen materials I can �t think of them as "moderators" They are, you are angry , frustrated etc... You are both judge and jury which is not what moderators are or should be! That �s all I am saying! I understand your feelings but shouting your frustration on the forum won �t make any difference! That �s why I tried to say earlier on that the system of moderation , as it is now, can �t work! And I can say it clear and loud because I struggle to make my own ws ( which I enjoy doing , by the way!) and I always try to give the links to my sources or ask people permission for using some of their work!
It has indeed helped me a lot and I don �t want to sound like anybody �s mother in law but I think it is important to have someone in any human group who tries to mediate disputes and avoid violence and opens negotiation!
Please, don �t shout at me! I am too old for that!Smile

4 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >