Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The naughties? ....    

The naughties? ....

colibrita
United Kingdom

The naughties? ....

I can �t believe I don �t know this, but what was the last decade officially called? The noughties, the naughties??? 

4 Mar 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

nineties...  I think...
We can say fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties so I suppose it must have been nineties...?

4 Mar 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

That �s what I �ve found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_%28decade%29

Unlike previous decades, the 2000s have not yet attained a universally accepted name in the English-speaking world.]

Orthographically, the decade can be written as the "2000s" or the " �00s." Some people read "2000s" as "two-thousands," and thus simply refer to the decade as the "two-thousands." Some read it as the "00s" (pronounced "Ohs"). The single years within the decade are usually referred to as starting with an "Oh," such as "Oh-Eight." On January 1, 2000, the BBC listed "The Noughties" (derived from "nought" a word used for zero in many English-speaking countries), as a potential moniker for the new decade. Others advocate the term "The Aughts," which was widely used at the beginning of the previous century, sometimes even combining it with "naught" to put a linguistic twist on the time period, such as "The Naught Aughts" or even "The Naughty Aughties." Slate Magazine puts another humorous twist on the "00s," using the term "Uh-Ohs" in reference to society �s inability to come up with a name.

4 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

In Canada, we call them the "Nineties"... but I can �t vouch for other parts of the World. LOL Maybe the like to call them the "Naughty Nineties" - lol 

4 Mar 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Sorry, I mean 2000-2010. But now I come to think of it what about this decade, what is it called?!! I �m being a super ignoramus today!!

4 Mar 2010     

boydegg
Thailand

The noughties and the teenies.

4 Mar 2010     

johanne23232
Israel

I had never thought of this question! Noughties and teenies sounds lovely! I wonder whether that will be used only in the UK though.....I �d love to hear what will be accepted internationally .

4 Mar 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I love it! Noughties and teenies!

Thanks very much everyone!

Hugs

5 Mar 2010