Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which is more correct and why?    

which is more correct and why?

hiba373
Palestine

today,the vast majority of english speakers say:" it �s me" rather than "it �s i"

4 Mar 2010      

Zora
Canada

Well, think of it this way...what would you say to this type of question:

"Is that George Clooney?"

"Oh, my! Yes, it is! "It �s him" or  would you say "It �s he"?

You would say "It �s him", no?

So, of course like for "he" you need to use the object him and therefore, you would need to use the object for "I" which is "me".

Edit:

He, she, I, they, we, etc.... are subjects of a sentence so when you answer with "It is" you can�t use them and have to use the "object" instead.

4 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Zora is correct about current usage, but "is" is a linking verb, so it doesn �t take an object. Because of that, the correct choice gramatically is "It �s I" and "It �s he." The important thing, though, is that no one here in the Western Hemisphere says "It �s I" these days.

It �s funny that in the past, we �ll sometimes use it, as in "It was I who called you last night." However, in a short answer, we would still use "me."
"Which one of you called me?" "It was me."

Bruce

4 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Bruce, your explanation was great, I read that "it �s me" only started to be gramatically correct in the 16th century. And of course, Zora pointed out what every normal/native person would say.

And since the colloquial is always a good way to go when learning a new language, I always tell my students: "Go with the flow!" LOL

I actually have some wss on that subject, because I was so desperate to know all the rules and exception about this tough question... if anybody is interested, I can send them through e-mail.

Bruna.

4 Mar 2010