Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Which is the correct answer?    

Which is the correct answer?

akram@73
Tunisia

Which is the correct answer?

Each country has a (native / national )language.Thx

5 Mar 2010      

Zora
Canada

Each country has an "official" language - not national / native. A native language would refer to any aboriginal language that is spoken in that country. 

5 Mar 2010     

dennismychina
China

I beg to differ Zora. Ones native language is ones mother tongue, ones first language. I do agree that a country would have a national language. Aboriginal language is the indigenous people of Australian�s language. As far as I know. And a native is a person (but could also be a plant or animal) from a particular country. ie. The Protea, Cape Penguin and I are natives of South Africa.
Enjoy.

5 Mar 2010     

eng789
Israel

As a fellow Canadian,  I am sticking with Zora,  countries have Official languages - not national ones.

Native language refers to the language of the indigenous people - which is often different from the official language which settlers brought with them and forced on the natives.

In Canada,  the Native languages would be different Indian and Eskimo dialects and people born in most of Canada would speak English as their mother tongue (except for Quebec) - which is the official language.    I was born in Canada to immigrants from Europe and my first language was Yiddish.  You wouldn �t say my native language was Yiddish - but it was my mother tongue.

5 Mar 2010     

akram@73
Tunisia

thanks

5 Mar 2010