Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > List of basic Root Words    

List of basic Root Words

moravc
Czech Republic

List of basic Root Words

I am searching net for root words of COMMON vocabulary... The only thing I found was about vocabulary for native speakers with long lists of Greek and Latin prefixes and many unusual words...
Do you happen to know any good website / list for EFL (pre-)intermediate students (B1-B2)?
something easy...
eg: collect - collection, collector, collective, collecting
happy - happiness, unhappiness, happily, unhappy
friend - friendship, friendly, unfriendly

Thanks in advance!!!

5 Mar 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Perhaps you might find the FCE practice tests useful - especially the part of the exam called Use of English and its section Word Formation. I wouldn �t call it a list, but it deals with forming content-related words from root words, and it �s all language in use, so it �s not theory, but practice.
When I try dealing with that, I find these exercises helpful, because starting from the root word is sometimes difficult for my sts, so I do it �backwards � - I have them do this exercise, then we pull out the root words and see how many more we can make like that, based on the root word. Hope this helps a bit.

5 Mar 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This is the only thing I can come up with.

5 Mar 2010