Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Color or colour?    

Color or colour?

manonski (f)
Canada

Canadians write "colour", not "color".

7 Mar 2010     

suxanita
Portugal

Both are correct. Colour is Be and Color is Ame.
I prefer Colour because we are teaching Be and not Ame.

7 Mar 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

suxanita, you teach British English but some of us don �t. I teach Canadian English and some British English words don �t mean anything to us or mean different things.
That is why I always make my texts editable on my printables. That way, people can modify to the type of English they teach. 

7 Mar 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I always give my students the two alternatives and tell them to make their own choice. I explain to them that both are okay, depending on where they are going to use their English in the future.
This is part of the fun of learning English...it �s such a living language that nothing is ever the same. Keeps us all on our toes.

7 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I prefer color because that came first, I don �t see why the British felt they needed to add "u"s to everything, presumably to be more like the French.  (Look up the etymology if you don �t believe me!) Still living where I do and teaching British English I have to put in the extra letter.

Here �s a nice list of words with this problem from wikipedia:

Most words ending in an unstressed
-our in the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Australia and most English-speaking countries(e.g., colour, flavour, honour, neighbour, rumour, labour) end in -or in the United States (e.g., color, flavor, honor, neighbor, rumor, labor).

7 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2