Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > First class......    

First class......

Samantha.esl
Italy

First class......

Hello!

I �ll be starting with a new group of students and I �d like to ask you for ideas/games or activities to do on the first day. They know each other but I don �t. I �ll be new to them and they will be new to me..

What kind of activities do you do on the first day of class with a new group?

Thank you!
Edit..... Anyone..  around?.. :(
I´m off to bed.. Good night!

8 Mar 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

1. IF they know each other, ask personal questions about their partners...
Eg: What is Amanda �s favourite colour? Has Peter got a dog?
2. game two: Let them guess personal info about you...
3. Game 3 - Lies, lies, lies. Talk about yourself / your family / parents etc and tell some lies. Ss must guess the lie... Maybe use some bets... Small change, sweets, stickers etc...
4. Ask them to write down really unusual experiences... (I have swum in river in winter etc). Use cards. Let ss guess who wrote what :-) (I have kissed tarantula. I have seen a UFO. I have sung opera on stage...
5. Let them tell/write comparisons / superlative sentences. Who is the tallest the the class? Who is the oldest? Who lives furthest from school? Who gets up the earliest? Who is the youngest? Who is the best dancer? Who is the most creative? Who can sing the best? Who has read the largest number of English books (graded readers)?
6. Ask about their past years.... What was the funniest event with your class? Where have you been the furthest? Who is the most famous person you have met? What was the most delicious meal you had in the school canteen?.... the most dangerous, funniest, the best trip, the best game, the tallest // oldest teacher they ever had... + ask additional questions - when did it happen, where, why ...

Good luck!  LET THEM SPEAK as much as possible :*)

8 Mar 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Thank you Moravc! Wonderful!

8 Mar 2010