Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > PASSIVE - I need your help!    

PASSIVE - I need your help!

claudia4444
Austria

PASSIVE - I need your help!

Dear teachers, I �ve got some problems with the PASSIVE

The thieves stole some paintings yesterday evening.
-> Some paintings were stolen by thieves yesterday evening.  OR
->Some paintings were stolen yesterday evening by thieves.

Peter cut some wood for the fire yesterday at ten o �clock.
-> Wood was cut by Adam for the fire yesterday at ten o �clock. OR
-> Wood was cut for the fire yesterday at ten o �clock by Adam.

My sister studied English for her exam last week.
-> English was studied by my sister for her exam last week. OR
-> English was studied for her exam by my sister last week.

I never know for sure where to put the subject who becomes an object in the passive. Always behind the passive construction? At the end? Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!!!

8 Mar 2010      

yanogator
United States

All of them are correct, but it usually sounds best to put the agent immediately after the verb.

Also, the third example doesn �t sound good in the passive.

Bruce

8 Mar 2010     

mpr_girl
Romania

hey,

Generally in passive sentences the DO takes the place of the Subject, thus becoming "by-phrase" Agent. So, it �s not necessary to place the agent at the end of the sentence, but leave it where the active subject was.

Therefore:

The thieves stole some paintings yesterday evening. ---> Some paintings were stolen by thieves yesterday evening.

Nevertheless, the agent can occupy another position if you want to emphasize the time when the paintings were stolen. Then, the passive sentence would be:

Yesterday evening some paintings were stolen by thieves.

8 Mar 2010     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Yes, indeed, it is a problem.
The first thing I would like to say is that the passive is not the alternative to the active, whatsoever.
Sentence n�1 is Ok but the doer here "i.e. by thieves" is not necessary. In this sentence, we use the passive because the doer or the agent is unknown; that �s why it is not necessary to mention it.
Sentences 2 & 3 The active is very much appropriate. Sentence 3 can �t be changed into the passive as yanogator says. 
Cheers, Al.

8 Mar 2010