Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > euro- countable or uncountable ?    

euro- countable or uncountable ?

mary-butterfly
Brazil

euro- countable or uncountable ?

I HAVE A DOUBT?
A STUDENT OF MINE SAID THAT THE WORD EURO IS UNCOUNTABLE
I ALWAYS TAUGHT IT AS COUNTABLE

I HAVE SOME EUROS
I NEED 5 EUROS.

MY STUDENT IS FROM ITALY AND SHE SAID IT �S UNCOUNTABLE.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

9 Mar 2010      

Pelletrine
France

Euro is a countable noun....  like pound or dollar. you �re completely right ;o)

- I don �t know any Italian.... so.... unless there is an exception inside Europe? But that is rather hard to believe.
Maybe your student is not quite at ease with the meaning of (un)countable things?

9 Mar 2010     

jujuka
Hungary

I don �t think your student is right. Euro is not an exception: you can use it in the plural, just like  other currencies: dollars, pounds, etc. It is countable:

I wish I had a lot of euros :)
We paid 100 euros for this bike.

On the other hand, the word "money" is always uncountable:

Teachers don �t make too much money.
"Money makes the world go round."

Judit

9 Mar 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
The Portuguese word "euro" takes plural as any other currency I can remember, both in English and Portuguese.

May be your student is referring to the crisis around! LOL I fact, it seems that few people get euros, it seems most of us will be getting just EURO, by the end of the month.
Joking, obviously
linda

9 Mar 2010     

Isabel L
Spain

Hi,

The English Style Guide of the European Commission Translation Service states:

12.12 ... Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both �euro� and �cent� are to be written without �s� in English. Do this when amending or referring to legal texts that themselves observe this rule. Elsewhere, and especially in documents intended for the general public, use the natural plural with �s� for both terms.

The currency of Ireland is the euro and I �ve heard everybody say euros for the plural there.
Hope it helps

9 Mar 2010     

customer
Italy

Hi,

in Italian the word euro is uncountable, we say " dieci euro" and not "dieci euri".

But my students say "euros" when  they speak English...

Greeting from an "exceptional" Italy,
Chiara

9 Mar 2010     

melinaki
Greece

Hi from Greece

The same as in Italy happens in Greece. In Greek we don �t put it in the plural (we consider it an irregular plural) but my pupils use "Euros" when they speak English.
Best wishes
Melina

9 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

Saying: "ten euro" or "ten euros" both indicate that it is countable--if you can answer with a simple number it is countable (e.g.: "How many euro(s)  does it cost?  "10"  =countable)

The question seems to be whether or not the pural is written with "s"�.  This is a much argued subject.  In the end you can use either "euro" or "euros" and be correct.  Honestly speaking, I find I use both at different times depending on how I feel.

9 Mar 2010     

melinaki
Greece

I agree with Douglas. Euro is definitely a countable noun. Now with the crisis even more countable than ever! ;)
Melina

9 Mar 2010