Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Wooden, and related words    

Wooden, and related words

yanogator
United States

Wooden, and related words

In another thread, topolina mentioned the word "wooden", which means "made of wood". At one time, English had a number of similar words ending in "-en", telling what material an item was made from. "Wooden" is still common, but many people have begun to say "wood" instead, as in a wood door, a wood chair, etc.

Something made of wool used to be called "woolen", but that is nearly gone, and people talk about a wool coat, rather than a woolen coat. Similarly with "oaken" (made from the wood of the oak tree). People say "an oak table" rather than "an oaken table." I think "oaken" is the only kind of wood that has an "-en" form. There is a very old song called "The Old Oaken Bucket."

"Golden" is fading in use, but is still somewhat common. All cooks on television talk about their food being "golden brown" after it is cooked. In fact, the word "golden" usually means having the color of gold, rather than being made of watch. A gold watch is made of gold, but a golden watch would just have the color of gold.

Flax, the plant that linen is made from, has the adjective "flaxen", but that is usually used only as a color (and usually a hair color), and "linen" is used as the adjective.

A word that is now archaic is "leathern", and people wear leather coats, not leathern coats these days.

I hope you found this interesting and informative.

Bruce

10 Mar 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

Hello Bruce,  this seems to be an interesting topic... Why don �t you make a worksheet on -EN words?
Maybe you can add some irregular verbs as well - written, given, taken etc and make dominoes / snap card game?
IF you contribute, you will be able to download the original worksheets... WELCOME to Eslprintables!
Please don�t forget  to read the rules What�s this and FAQ    F.A.Q. and have a look at free Tutorials     Templates 

10 Mar 2010     

ebrahmi
Tunisia

Thank you very much yanogator. It �s the first time I learn the difference between gold s.th & golden s.th.

10 Mar 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

I always wooden, woolen ect.

10 Mar 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Thank you so much Bruce! Very interesting topic.

Have a nice day.
mena

10 Mar 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Oooh, does that mean I am officially getting old..?  I still say �golden �, �wooden � and �woolen �..Smile
Actually it probably does mean I �m out of date...It should probably be "titanium � , �fiber-glass � and �fleece �...........LOL

10 Mar 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hi Bruce, I enjoyed reading your post :) I still use �gold � and �golden �, I don �t use woolen anymore, just say wool and a noun...wooden...hm...use both varients...English is a flexible language Thumbs Up
have a nice day

10 Mar 2010     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi
What an interesting topic.

I agree that golden would infer gold colour rather than being made of gold.

My wedding ring is gold whereas my tacky necklace is golden (kind of gold)

The word woolen is still used commonly here - A wool jersey just doesn �t sound right.  But that may be the difference between countries.

10 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Oh my goodness - I have never thought of this before. 

I say a I have a wool coat yet I would also say that I have a nice winter woollen coat.  It sort of depends on what sounds instinctively natural in the context.  But, it is always a wooden table.  

Yes, golden is now really a cooking term.  I �m not sure we ladies would say we have golden jewellery - it might not be real gold but we want to imply that it is .Tongue

10 Mar 2010     

MartaZ
Poland

Very interesting indeed :)

And when you teach colours which do you teach - gold or golden?

Is a crayon gold or golden? Should I ask students to colour sth gold or golden...? I �d say golden but I �m not sure to be honest.

Have a lovely day Everyone!
Marta

10 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

We would say to color it gold, because we �re using the name of the color, rather than using it attributively. Also, golden has somewhat the meaning of gold-like as much as the color of gold.

As for jewelry, we definitely want to give the impression that it is gold, so we wouldn �t say golden jewelry.

Bruce

10 Mar 2010