Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > which is correct?    

which is correct?

franpancho
Spain

which is correct?

Can anyone tell me the difference among:

opinion of ...
opinion about ...
opinion on ...

I would use "opinion about" or "opinion on", but I saw this sentence, "My opinion of Nuclear Energy" written by a native speaker and I wonder if that �s right

10 Mar 2010      

lshorton99
China

The sentence is perfectly correct - you can have an opinion of something or someone.

10 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I �ve seen the British write think on it - where Americans write think about it.
I �ve also heard they say have an opinion on this and that or have an opinion about this or that. 

I think you can use all three.
You can say, what is your opinion of him - so I guess you can also answer with the same word.

10 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I agree - all three are correct and can more-or-less be used interchangeably with the word �opinion �.  I would say "My opinion of Nuclear Energy" and I �m a NS.

10 Mar 2010     

Abdou1980
Morocco

To my knowledge of British English, I have never heard that the British say �think on it �. But rather they say think of sth or sb. also, there is an expression (an idiom) which is frequently used: think on your feet.
in addition, To think of and to think about are the same and have got two meanings. the first meaning is to have an  idea or opinion;
the second meaning is to imagine someone or something.
concerning the third expression, it is often used to ask people their opinion about something:
a native would say, �what s your opinion on the film?

11 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

To think on it is an old expression - and is hardly ever used today.
But you can still say - sleep on it - which also means to think about something and have an answer the next day.

11 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

You explained it well Abdou but as a native speaker I can assure you NS do say �what s your opinion on / of / about the film? �  All three are correct and can more-or-less be used interchangeably in todays context.  See libertybelle �s explanation in an earlier post about how & why English is changing and then ... think about it ...

11 Mar 2010     

franpancho
Spain

Thanks to everyone who answered, I appreciate all your explanations

11 Mar 2010