Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > for and since teaching methods?    

for and since teaching methods?

Panteleimon
Greece

for and since teaching methods?

how would yoy teach:
how long
for 
since

11 Mar 2010      

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I �d present a ws containing the graphic below (or something similar - sorry, it �s not ready, I �ve made it just to demonstrate) and ask the students to analize the graphic and compare / contrast the sentences. Then I �d ask ss to spot the differences and explain what they understand from it. I �d start from that point explaining, providing more examples, asking them to provide some, asking questions ("How long have you studied English?") and telling them to ask the others some similar questions.

Hope it helps.

Zailda

11 Mar 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Another option is to Get THEM to work out the logic behind it. Tell them that you say for ten minutes, for three years, for a long time, yet you say since two o �clock, since Friday, since 1980, since I was at university, etc. Then give them a few more time expressions and get them to decide whether they go with "since" or "for".

Ss tend to get it pretty quickly.

11 Mar 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Yes, I agree with colibrita,  they tend to get it pretty quickly - if they are used to reason.

But some still need some guides before they feel secure enough to risk. It seems half of my ss are afraid of making mistakes. So they won �t risk, unless they feel they �re not going in the wrong direction...

They are teens and adults, and they tend to imagine that a thing like a guillotine will wipe them out from the face of the earth if they get it wrong...

11 Mar 2010