Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Magic tricks in lessons    

Magic tricks in lessons

izulia
China

Magic tricks in lessons

Hello dear teachers
In our school we are going to have a Book Week. Each class is given a story to work on during that week and on Friday primary students parents will come to do some book related activities with their children. My class � story is called Mr Marvel and the Cake by Tony Mitton and it is a bout a magician who does simple magic tricks.
I wonder if anyone uses any simple magic tricks in class or knows how to do them? The ones that I �ve found on the internet sound a bit too complicated to me. I teach 6-8 year olds and I would love to learn some magic tricks that I could use occasionally to capture interest of my students 
Any advice will be very appreciated.
Thank you.

11 Mar 2010      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
This is a very easy one, if I am able to explain how it works.
Take a pack of cards, shuffle them or have someone to do that.
Then, without the people noticing it, check which card is the last one, at the bottom of the pile, and memorize it.

Put the pack of cards, let �s say under a piece of cloth, a coat, anything you have at hand.

Let us suppose that the last card, the one at the bottom of the pack is a King of Diamonds.

Now you ask:
How many suits are there?
And the people answer : Four.
What are their names?
People say : Diamonds, Spades,Clubs and Hearts.
You say: Choose two.
If people choose one that is what you want, you say: Now, choose one. If people don �t choose what you want, you say: It �s left the " other".
How many cards are there? Name there? and people say: Ace, King...etc, etc.
And you say: Choose five. If they choose what you want you go on and say: Choose two. If they don �t pick the card you want, you say: So suits so and so and so are left out. Pick one of them.

And you go on like this. You know what card you want, they think they are choosing , but they can only pick from what you ask. Either you ask from what they choose, or you ask from the suits /cards that are left.
When, you finally get to the card you want, you ask:
When do you want me to show you that card? At first attempt, second, ..... etc ?

Then, simple, you take cards, under the cloth, either from the top of the pile, where you know your card is not, or take it from the bottom, where you know it is.

Little messy, this explanation, isn �t it?
Well, I tried, I �m not a magician, but this one always goes well.
Good luck.

11 Mar 2010     

Mallerenga
Spain

You can make kids believe you have got mental powers by guessing the number they are looking at in a die. You just must know that all the opposite faces in a die sum up 7. So, when a kid "concentrates" on the face of the die he/she is looking at, you just see the opposite side and guess the number.

It is very easy and they can easily learn it and do tricks with their relatives. My kids love it even when they know the trick (and moreover we are doing maths!) ;)

11 Mar 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

Try this:

www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-turn-dollar-bill-upside-magic-trick-215809

or this:

www.aaronmartini.com/trick7bill.html

11 Mar 2010     

boydegg
Thailand

Hi Izulia

Maybe this can give you some inspiration ...

Olindalima - someone showed me that trick you �ve described when I was a kid and it worked really well. Simple, but effective.

Brian

11 Mar 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

Check your pm ;-)
Catalina

11 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

http://www.neok12.com/Learn-Magic-Tricks.htm

11 Mar 2010     

Anna P
Brazil

Here �s an easy and fun trick: GUESS THE COLOUR.  Get 5 or 6 crayons of different colours - thick crayons are easier to work with and they shouldn �t have paper around them (like Crayola).  Place the crayons in the palm of your hand, close your eyes and ask a child to choose one of the colours and place that crayon in your other hand.  Still with your eyes closed put both hands behind your back - out of the children �s view. Stratch the chosen crayon with your nail and put it back with the other ones.  Bring your hands forward - all the crayons together.  Pretend to think and examine the crayons while you check your nail. You will easily see the color and the children will be surprised when you say, "It �s the red one!" Use one finger at a time and... wash your hands afterwards!

12 Mar 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Tell you students you are able to read their thoughts.

They should pick a number between 1 and 10.
Then multitply it by 3.
Then add 2.
After that add the number they have chosen to the sum.
Cross out the first digit of the number. (e.g. the number is 12, you have to cross out 1 here. Now they have to work with the number which was not crossed out. In the example it is 2. All the manipulations below should be done using it.)
Add 2.
Divide by 4.
Add 19.
You have 21 now.

The thing here is that you don �t tell them the number they had chosen, you tell them the result of their evaluation. And the result will always be 21.

Another similar task.
Pick a number between 1 and 10.
Add 29.
Cross out the last digit of the number.
Multiply by 10.
Add 4.
Multiply by 3.
Subtract 2.
You have 100 now.

P.S.  Of course these tricks are not for 6-8 years students, but maybe they may be useful for the older ones Smile

12 Mar 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

Take a look at this http://www.abc.net.au/science/surfingscientist/

There are some �really� easy tricks. Some of them I`ve used at my lessons. Enjoy!� �

14 Mar 2010