Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Reporting issues    

Reporting issues

Aimee/S.
Israel

Reporting issues

Good evening,

I �m not crazy about the "moderating fever" I �ve been noticing these days...
I understand that stolen and copied worksheets should be reported, but I feel that some people are going overboard with the reporting and looking for fault where there isn �t...
I don �t check every worksheet that is being reported, but the few I voted against removing this week remained in the end... (I wasn �t the only one voting for them to stay of  course!). So I can �t be that wrong...

I have a suggestion. It isn �t my original idea, I participated this week to a discussion on the forum and it was suggested - by "Giovanni" (Thanks!!!) that:
Members should have a certain number of points in order to be able to report worksheets.

My suggestion to Victor is:
Perhaps both moderators and members who report should have 5000 points?
Then maybe they �ll know the rules better...
I �m not saying that 5000 points make us necessarily kinder or more considerate. But maybe people who �ve reached this amount would know people better and not rush to report ...
They would know, feel, guess who is well-intentioned or "innocent", show some consideration and pm the person if they notice that he/she has broken a rule...

Thanks for reading!
Aimee

12 Mar 2010      

Zora
Canada

Hi Aimee Smile

I have to agree with you. I have also noticed this "fever" starting up again... and I really do have to agree that a minimum amount of "something" should be set to report worksheets. There are too many new people reporting almost anything without realising, or caring, about the people or the circumstances behind each worksheet they report. In fact, in my opinion, I don �t think that it should have to do with only "points" - I think it should have to do with "time" on the site too.

i.e. to report you need to have been here at least 6 months AND maybe a minimum of 1500 points ... or something similar.

Hugs,

Linda

12 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I suggested before that if people consistently report worksheets that are then found not to have broken the rules they should get a temporary ban on downloading/uploading. Say for example, someone reports 3 worksheets and none of them are found to have broken the rules then the member can �t download or upload for a week. That would discourage trigger-happy reporting.

The only worksheets I report are ones I have the copying web page link for without checking or ones which aren �t in English. I admit to spending perhaps a little too much time on tis site but even I don �t have either the time or the inclination to go trolling through worksheets looking for problems! I �m very grateful to the moderators who keep this site up to standard!

12 Mar 2010     

olaola
Italy

Please,  consider my example: I haven �t 5000 points yet but it happened to me very often to discover "stolen" worksheets and as I can �t stand that people gain points copying or worse stealing, I report them...
I really don �t mind being a moderator or so, but  in case I can �t report ws anymore and find a stoled ws... What should I do?

12 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

I have to agree with lshorton99 and disagree with you, Aimee. How many people with more than 5000 points are active reporters? 1? 2? or 0? And there is a huge wave of copies on the site that noone cares about. The more people are able to report the cleaner the site will get.
Perhaps it �s a good idea to ban those who report for no reason, just to take the reporting rights from them.
I myself had a ws reported for no reason and it stayed in the end. So who reported it? I don �t know. But may be if the member is constantly being useless and just having fun reporting for nothing, he shouldn �t be able to.

12 Mar 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i have to say that i agree and desagree because who is  to know that a person reported just for fun... for example i reported a ws that was a about links to web sites. i didnt report that for fun, i did it because i think that that is not an esl resorce if you want to share link there is a bookmark suggestion section for that. would i be ban because under the definition of an esl resource or the examples of things that can be uploaded there is no example of a ws for links when i am just trying to do a favor to the site that by the way i do for free?  i do think that people reporting should have an amount of time on the site, since that person might know the rules better. i know that sometimes people report because they find out who reported their ws and do it out of revenge, but still if a ws is reported unjustly the moderators will vote according to the rules and the ws will be available again so no harm done.

12 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

Perhaps moderators could be exempt from my suggestion as there are much fewer moderators now and they have more work to do. Plus, I consider the majority, if not all, the people with 5000+ point to be people who have been here long enough to know the rules. If, as liz pointed out, they occasionally disagree on what should or should not be banned then that is perfectly normal considering the natural diversity within any community.

I do think it �s important that worksheets that break the rules get reported, I just feel that careless or malicious reporting should be discouraged. A temporary ban - not from the site, just the resources might make people think twice.

12 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hello Aimee!! :))))

As I �m not a moderator I didn �t notice that there �s a reporting spree, so maybe I should be quiet, but I searched Victor �s recent posts regarding this subject a few minutes ago, because I remember that he has said something like �the more reporters the better for this website�. I �ve just found that post: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=16629&page=4

This is what he said:
The more people who can report, the better. If someone abuses the reporting option, s/he will be disabled from reporting.
Three strikes is just to be reviewed, not cancelled.

Since it �s just about reviewing every single case carefully and not about cancelling accounts I don �t see any problems when users with fewer than 5,000 points keep reporting wss. I don�t believe that the majority of users reports wss out of revenge, do you??

Nevertheless I �ve never reported any wss so far and probably won �t before I become an �older � member.

Happy weekend to all of you, topolina

12 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Like others, I wouldn �t know about the abusing reporting spree Aimee mentioned.
I also have to say that I wouldn �t like to see only moderators (5.000+ points) being able to report. I �m not a moderator anymore and for the looks of my current ws production, won �t be for quite a while. However, I report mainly copies form the net and if I couldn �t, I would be very unhappy, because I care too much for this website and its intention: sharing original ESL resources.

However, I really liked EDIT: ZORA�s suggestion of SITE �S TIME. Maybe only people who have been around for a while are able to know what can or cannot be considered against the rules or not. But since the rules are quite clear now, actually, this reporting-for-nothing spree shouldn �t be happening.

And if they are, I hope the abuse system for reporters topolina mentioned is already working.

But thanks Aimee for bring this important issue to our attention.

Hugs,
Bruna.

12 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you aimee for bringing this issue on the forum again. Maybe it is not a question of points but a question of moderation. Maybe It would be preferable to have wise and experienced people being able to judge , evaluate what a good ws is , what is expected from a good ws. Maybe the criteria are more nuanced that what has been decided. I find the definition of esl material is so rigid! Maybe we should open a thread on the forum to see what people think of it! I am all for democracy!

For example, tonight I noticed a lovely lay out  that got loads of points. I checked on the plagiarism checker: It was totally plagiarazed with just a few words missing that had to be reinserted back into the text! Sorry, but to me  it is not a good esl resource! No creativity! no much learning from such exercise!  So We would need to have a board of "wise men" to take decisions ! As the moderators are members as well, they are judge and jury so this system will never be fair!

That �s my humble opinion as one ex member would have said!

Good night to all and have a nice week end!

12 Mar 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

As Victor said before when he was asked to let only moderators report a ws, the more people able to report a ws we have, the more difficult the copiers � task will be.

Aimee said that the wss she voted against the removal of, remained in the site in the end. So everything ended up just fine.

When a member reports a ws, s/he sends it to the moderators � appreciation and the moderators have the right to decide whether the ws is against the rules or not. So I �m sure a ws won �t be unfairly removed.

If this happens, the member can ask Victor to restore the ws and the points. If there is a minor issue and the ws is removed, the member can update and reupload it next day.

A reported ws is frozen but it �ll be available for download the next day (if it isn �t removed) so no one will get harmed with the report.

Of course if a member keeps reporting perfect wss, s/he should get a punishment. Is this the case? If a moderator notices this kind of problem, please report it to Victor.

13 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >