Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > FONETIC PROBLEM    

FONETIC PROBLEM

noemilima
Argentina

FONETIC PROBLEM

How can improve some fonetic problems? : I�m training as an English teacher and I want to be better at this point . Does a quick method exist ??

12 Mar 2010      

len.len
Poland

Hi Noemilima

I can reccomend you quite a decent coursebook to practise phonetics

author: Ann Baker Sheep or Ship (new edition)
intermediate level

http://books.google.pl/books?id=ZC-kByfEiDQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Ann+Baker+ship+or+sheep&source=bl&ots=kVv4tZSqIa&sig=N2T1eRhmPFTGMhzHRvMbQ66_mo8&hl=pl&ei=NqGaS_j2NpGImgOpuaCoDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCEQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=&f=false

In my opinion, nothing improves photenics and phonemic awareness better than recording short texts.

You just need sombody qualified who may check your recorded mp3.

Best wishes!

12 Mar 2010     

marwashehab
Egypt

Thank you len.len , it will be very useful to me too.

12 Mar 2010     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Have you seen this? You can practise phonetics. 

12 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

God - I hated phonetics on my DELTA!

I suggest a good advanced learner �s dictionary as a starting point. Also, I laminated the phonemic chart and put it everywhere in my flat - even the toilet! I also made little cards with terminology and examples on to revise - I colour coded and everything!

12 Mar 2010     

jennybohmes
Argentina

http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/# sorry I forgot to paste the site he hehe it�s friday you know..

12 Mar 2010     

len.len
Poland

I think that it is also worth considering your L1 when you think about phonetics.
I mean learners tend to make mistakes because they tranfer L1 phonetics to English.

For example, Polish people have tendency to final devoicing.
So they often say  dog =/dok/, not /dog/
they say /swimink/ instead of /swimin/

We have also only one /i/ sound in Polish, so Ls tend to pronounce:
e.g sick=seek identically, not bothering if there �s short or long /i/ sound.

Think of your own language, try to point differences. This should also help. Building up awareness is a big step forward :)

13 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thanks  a  lot  jennybohmes !

13 Mar 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

Jolly Phonics covers all sounds, by far the best books and DVDs I have ever seen and used.

13 Mar 2010     

jennybohmes
Argentina

I have more info. if you are interested send me a pm.

13 Mar 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I am working on something it that area. Stay posted ;o) I had to take a phonetics exam at university and I have to say I like it. Check my phonetic alphabet ball dice game also, it would be a starting point.

Regards

13 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >