Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What īs the translation for "Director de Turma"?    

What īs the translation for "Director de Turma"?

dragonfly2
Portugal

What īs the translation for "Director de Turma"?

Hi!

Can anyone help me translating the Portuguese phrase "Director de Turma"? It īs a teacher who takes care of all paper work related to a specific class and helps its students overcome personal or academic difficulties or behaviour problems.

Thank you

12 Mar 2010      

mena22
Portugal

Hi! I think our Director the Turma has more or less the same job as the English headteacher. That īs what we call him/her, anyway.

Have a good evening.
mena

12 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

We have a Director of Studies - is that what you mean? They are responsible for all the classes, behaviour problems, personal problems etc. Some schools have an ADOS . Assistant Director of Studies or a Senior Teacher.

12 Mar 2010     

dragonfly2
Portugal

Hi Mena.

But isn īt headteacher the same as principal or headmaster, the leader of the school?

Thanks, a good evening to you to

12 Mar 2010     

anabelacdn
Portugal

Well, in Canada (Vancouver, B.C.) as a high school student, I had a homeroom teacher who was responsible for giving us our report cards at the end of each term.  However, my school counsellor monitered my attendance, contacted my parents and guided me right through high school (grade 8-12).  A " Director de Turma" does all that and more (been there, done that!).  I think that the term "homeroom teacher"  or " homeroom headteacher" are the closest things. Sometimes it is hard to translate certain roles and terms from the Portuguese Education system. 

Have a good weekend!

13 Mar 2010     

dragonfly2
Portugal

Thanks Anabela.

I was hoping for an answer from a native speaker or someone who lives or lived in an English speaking country. So, thank you, I appreciate it because I have searched and searched for the answer to this question and I couldn īt be sure. You īre right, these terms are difficult to translate.

I am writing a reference letter for a student who īs going to study in Dubai and I can īt fully explain my relationship with her without using that expression

Thank you again.

13 Mar 2010     

FroggyClaudine
France

How about a guidance teacher? When I was in Scotland, this is what they used to call the person who was in charge of a certain number of pupils and who did really everything you mentionned.
Hope it helps.

13 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Drafonfly2

I īm a NS but Iīm not sure that I can help because schools here use different systems so it can be quite different from one school to another.

A headteacher is not the same as a principal or headmaster.  The latter two generally don īt teach unless they are in a small school.

If your student is a secondary school student then I think that Home Room teacher is a good term.  You can find info on this term here .

Cheers

Jayho

13 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I believe that the expressions īguidance teacher � and īguidance counsellor � would be what you call a īDirector de Turma � in Portugal......

13 Mar 2010     

dragonfly2
Portugal

Hi again.

Thank you all for your help.

Jayho, my student is in the 9th form. I have used the term headteacher as an equivalent to "Director de Turma" before but then I realized that the meaning of the word always made reference to the principal or the headmaster, so I got confused. Tutor is another word I thought could be used in this case but I think it doesn īt cover all the implications of the Portuguese phrase.

Froggy.Claudine, guidance teacher is also a good option. I guess I īll have to choose one and hope it conveys the correct idea.

Anyway, thank you so much. You were all very helpful, as always.

Catarina

13 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

It sounds like a guidance counselor to me. In the US, this is a person who is not in the classroom, but is an advisor for students - with school problems, personal problems, making decisions about classes and the future (career or college), behavior correction, etc.

I hope this helps you some.

Bruce

13 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >