Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Diagnostic Test    

Diagnostic Test

gicela
Argentina

Diagnostic Test

Hello! How are you? When you start a new year, you are supposed to take your students a dianostic test of the contents they saw last year.
I don�t know which are the steps to do that. Do we have to make a review first? (re-explain the topics they saw?) and then have the test?
Thanks for your help!

13 Mar 2010      

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

no they are suppose to take the test before starting any content at school. without any kind of review since what you are testing the knowledge they already acquired

13 Mar 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

ohh i forgot, in my country those test not only test what they studied but also what you are oin to cover during that year and at the end we repeat the same test to see if the aqcuried that year �s skills

13 Mar 2010     

gicela
Argentina

Thanks lizsantiago! You have to say your students that you are going to take a diagnostic test in order they have time to study what they saw?  The first class we made an activity to know each other.

13 Mar 2010     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Hi there!
I don�t take the diagnostic test at the very begining because after two month vacations the seem to forget some topics. I take a couple of weeks as a "diagnostic period" reviewing last year�s contents.

13 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Hi gicela,

You did not say how old your students are but there are excellent online tests which can be used as diagnostic tests, and the point is you DO NOT prepare them for this test if you want to know their real level.

Here is a test for young students http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/resources/online/2006/rgrade3/3rpte.htm

This is a test for a bit older students http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/resources/online/2006/rgrade68/6rpte.htm

Test for secondary students http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/resources/online/2006/rgrade912/9rpte.htm

13 Mar 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

no, you can tell them that they are going to take the DT but they dont have to study what you are trying to accomplish is to get to know what they already learned and at to what point they know what they are going to learn that year so that you know where to start. for example lets say that they are supposed to start with predicates, but when you give your DT you find that they dont even know what �s a verb, then you can �t start with predicate, even if they were suppose to have come to you with that knowledge because if you try to teach predicates without them knowing verbs is like trying to build a house on the air... it wont stand.

13 Mar 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

ohh and lets say that you are to start that year with sentences but then you find in the DT that the already know that then you can start with fragments or phrases or other skills

13 Mar 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

gicela, try to look at other DT but never ever used already made DT because you and only you know what has been given and will be given to your students, if u use already made DT then you have to give the exact content on that test and i guess you should probably have standards for your country that must be follow, so if they arent test prepared by your school dont use them unless to guide you. Remember that the pourpose of DT is to guide you on what they know and will know. if you are not going to teach them a skill then what is the point on testing them on that.

13 Mar 2010