Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A CLASS WITH ONLY 6 STUDENTS    

A CLASS WITH ONLY 6 STUDENTS

harelyta
Peru

A CLASS WITH ONLY 6 STUDENTS

HI MY DEAR FRIENDS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD
I �M HERE AGAING TO ASK FOR YOUR HEL ONCE AGAIN...THIS TIME LET ME TELL YOU THAT I �M A LITTLE SORRY ABOUT MY 9TH GRADE CLASS (ELEMENTARY) ..IN THIS YEAR I ONLY HAVE SIX SS AND AS SOME OF YOU CAN IMAGINE THEY FEEL A LITTLE BORED WHEN CLASSES START, I USE SOME GAMES, AN INTERACTIVE BOARD, AND GREAT MATERIAL TO MOTIVATE THEM BUT SOMETIMES IT DOESN �T WORKS SO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO....I NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS THEY ARE IN A GREAT BASIC ENGLISH, 5 OF THEM UNDERSTAND ME WHAT I SPEAK ABOUT IN CLASS, BUT THEY TOLD ME EVERY TIME WHY I SPEAK ENGLISH ALL THE TIME, I EXPLAINED THE REASONS WHAT NOTHING CONVINCE THEM, THAT �S WHAT I THINK..
LET ME KNOW WHAT SONG CAN BE USED , GAMES, WS  ANY MATERIAL, MAYBE SOME OF YOU HAD MY EXPERIENCE
THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE
YOUR HELP IS BIG FOR ME
HUGS AND GOOD LUCK

14 Mar 2010      

lshorton99
China

It sounds like you are doing a great job! There are lots of fantastic songs and worksheets on here if you search for what you need. As for speaking English, in my experience students all over the world complain about that. I usually tell them it �s an English class - what do they expect!

Try activities that get them moving - running dictations are usually popular or activities where they have to match things on the wall. Versions of slam are also good - put vocabulary/grammar items on the board and they have to run and touch the correct answer.

Another good activity is when you write, for example, present simple verbs on the board and they have to throw a ball or a screwed up piece of paper and whichever word they hit they have to make a sentence or say the past tense or whatever you are practising.

I have a group of 5 elementary teenagers and they are the bane of my existence! I �d have more luck motivating a corpse!

14 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Try more games, listening to very simple stories (may use esl podcasts for free) and stop the story in the middle and let them guess.
Ask ss to choose the topics for the next lesson, give them eg 10...
I would also suggest boardgames... Board games They are perfect for revision and what �s more you may use them over and over. It is usually 1 sheet of paper only, so they are really handy and "cheap" :-)
Let one of the students be a teacher for 2-5 minutes, give him some hints and let him entertain / correct the others. (you may give him the materials in advance... Sit down and play the role of a naughty student. :-D
Humour can be a good way of learning. Jokes, funny mini-stories, scatches, funny mini role-plays.

14 Mar 2010     

mecch71
Peru

I think u don �t have to be sorry , you have to be happy i had the opportunity to work with a classroom with only a few ss too and was marvelous.
i think you have to motivate more before start your lessons, different songs and games, also you can take them to watch songs videos , short movies  or cartoons ....
they are going to enjoy them
Let them a task
speaking task : Hot seat , the secret code name
writing task : a creative writing activity: a dark and stormy night , postcards , poems , freeze the writing  - a way to make writing tast a gropu act .
reading task : ss can sing the text to a well know n melody ,
listening task : listening songs or stories . etc ---while you ask some funny questions.
review the task - based approach.
enjoy
Mercedes

14 Mar 2010     

amnani
Brunei Darussalam

I have one game that my lecturer has introduced. It �s a game that means to reinforce the students grammar. This game requires two persons as to compete from each other. Since you only have 6 students, i think everyone can have their turn to play. So, this game needs two fly swatter which you can get anywhere in the store. If you want to reinforce their grammar on past tense verbs, you can prepare the inverted infinitives to past tense verbs and randomly arrange the words on the white board. Then, have the two students to face their back to the white board. Of course, give them the fly swatter. Get them ready to swat on the past tense verb of the infinitive that you would want to say. Students will be eager and become more excited to play this game. It �s fun and challenge your speed to identify the verbs more quickly. I �ve tried this to my yr 5 students of the age of 9 years old. They enjoyed it so much that they would want to play it all over again.

For other activity, maybe you should tell your students to do a small drama, since they are very good at English already. To add on that, you can also make your students to create rhyming words that in the end would end up in creating a poem. First, you can give the idea of getting the words that has the same rhyme in the end, for example: cat, pat, sat, mat, etc. Encourage them to find more words. More words is better. Then, you can make up a sentence which sometimes ends up with funny meaning. It �s a fun activity and very challenging.

In terms of songs, some students don �t favour singing. So, here �s an idea which I had done during my years of being student-teacher. You can give them any song or let them choose any song that they are really familiar with, so to make it more fun, ask them to change the subjects of the song for example, change �you � to �they �, or �it � to �me �, Anything. This will create another piece of written that has a totally different meaning. After your students are done with the �re-composing � of the song, the class can review the song, by singing it again which will have a whole new message. It �s a fun activity that everyone would enjoy. I �m sure.

I hope my ideas would work with you. So, Good Luck! :)

14 Mar 2010     

class centre
Belarus

My class has only 9 offices for students. See my avatar. It �s great to have few students at the lesson! This is a way to success. You can reach each one . When I worked in a state school I used different things to motivate my sts, also. So, the 1st thing was to put the desks in another way, in circle for example, having the sts sit looking either inside or outside. It adds excitement to the procedure of the lesson. If you want them to  talk - let them sit looking inside the circle, they will see each other. If you want them do some exersices, have them sit separately looking outside the circle. You will be able to approach each one of them and  have a consultation if needed... So, you are lucky to have a small group. 

14 Mar 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

seems like heaven to have only 6 students. everyone really has the opportunity to read, answer and speak. work can be enormously focussed while having time for real personal attention. I had the privilege only a few times (due to some happening in the school) and those were amazing lessons. I indeed have them sit in a semi-circle and it felt really intimate and focussed!

14 Mar 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

Try these games http://edition.tefl.net/ideas/grammar/fun-games-for-present-continuous/

http://edition.tefl.net/ideas/grammar/fun-present-perfect-activities/,

I guess using role plays is one of the most effective ways to get your Ss motivated.�

Use chat shows, where 2 of your Ss are the hosts of the show 2 of them are the guests, and the rest are the audience.�But before having a chat show provide them with a good example.

Make your questions really provocative to avoid a simple yes/no answer.�

Let them talk of their personal experience. And use humor and thrill.

14 Mar 2010     

natalia3
Moldova

I have hear some exercises based on work. They are for intermediate students and to my opinion they are very good.

14 Mar 2010