Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The name of the famous boat which carried people to the USA    

The name of the famous boat which carried people to the USA

Redbull
Thailand

WELL I �TS THE MOST FAMOUS ONE..!
AND DANKA YOUR NOT STUPID EVERY HELP IS GOOD, JUST PART OF THIS WEBSITES SERVICE Thumbs Up

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink

14 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Except that the Titanic never made it to the USA.

Could it be a ship that brought the Irish to the USA during the Potato Famine in Ireland?
Just thought it might have something to do with Ireland �s history?!

14 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

The Titanic was in the early 1900 �s.  Didn �t Danka mention the year 1847?

P.S.  I�ll be watching those redbull wings in five weeks time

14 Mar 2010     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Titanic = 1912 not 1847. Ermm

14 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

It seems there were several migrant ships in 1847 due to the famine in Ireland.  These are just some of them:

Brig Brazilian - Ballyshannon, Ireland to Boston, Massachusetts 26 July 1847

Ship"Marion" ,Arrived 12 Apr 1847, New York, Departed Londonderry NI Origin Ireland

Ship Helen Thompson (J.& J. Cooke), Captain John Grays, from Londonderry April 14th, arrived Grosse Isle May 22nd (not sure- is this in US?)

Ship"John Ravenel", Arrived 20 Apr 1847, Port New York, Departed Livepool, Origin Ireland,

"Bark Globe". Cork to Boston 28 April 1847. ISTG

Not sure if any of them are famous ...

Maybe you can ask the owner of the WS for the answer key.

14 Mar 2010     

danka.michalkova
Czech Republic

More confusing for me:))) Neither of the boats mentioned by Jayho are famous for me, I have never heard about them:) My question comes from the worksheet Saint Patrick�s Day Around The World and I downloaded it from here:) http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=375384#this
I know that I was in a museum near Cork where Titanic started its journey and it was connected with famine in Ireland.

14 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Maybe it is a ship that sailed before the famine. Irish migration was already happening and increased big-time during the famine. 

I don �t think it �s the Mayflower because that wasn �t specifically Irish.  And the Titanic never arrived.  The question implies that the ship arrived.

Perhaps you can modify the question to suit the Titanic (which is what I �d do) or PM the owner for the answer. 

14 Mar 2010     

danka.michalkova
Czech Republic

Thank you very much for your help, at least I will know more about Ireland as I like the country:)
Have a nice day, I am so happy to have people willing to help me.
Danka

14 Mar 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi, Danka, 
The ships carrying Irish emigrants to the USA in the late 1840s as a result of the famine were known as �coffin ships � because approximately 30% of the passengers died before arriving at their destination.  There is no particularly well-known ship from this period. 
I, too, think the question would need to be re-written so that it refers to a different period.

14 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Can you guess the name of the famous boat which carried people to the USA?

I would think it must be Mayflower... (1623) carrying English Pilgrims from Plymouth...
There is no year / nationality given in the question... so it must be the most famous one...

14 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >