Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > warm up    

warm up

jennybohmes
Argentina

warm up

Hi there!
I have to review the simple past tense, with students in junior 4, (9 years old).They don�t know s past with wh- questions.
What kind of warm up activity can I do?
Can you help me?

14 Mar 2010      

Baby V
Brazil

Dear Jenny,

What I do I usually play battle ship with them. I prepared to grids with some verbs in the present ( grid should have more or less 5 columns and 5 rows - in the columns you put on the first numbers and in the rows you put letters. It goes like:

A

RUN

SEE

LEND

TAKE

B

WRITE

BUY

THINK

DRIVE

C

WATCH

SPEND

TRAVEL

DRINK

D

EAT

SLEEP

WORK

SING

. Then I divide the class into two team. I put them in two lines (sat) and I give one grid to each line. The first SS from each team gets the grid. I say A3. The first SS of each line has to see which verb is in that combination and whisper in the year of the other who has to pass it on to the last who has to either write on the board or say the past simple. My students usually like it a lot.

Hope have helped
hugs from Brazil

14 Mar 2010     

Baby V
Brazil

I mean "I prepare two grids" and "whisper on the ear"

Sorry!!!

14 Mar 2010     

Begogzp
Mexico

Hello
   Sometimes when I introduce a tense I use flashcards with some actions and ask them what did he do yesterday ss get the idea and understand and they start making sentences I hope this idea can be useful for you
Thanks

14 Mar 2010     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Thank you (Baby v and Begogzp) for taking the time to answer my question! you helped me a lot!

14 Mar 2010