Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Passive Voice    

Passive Voice

red_sneakers
Indonesia

Passive Voice

Hi fellow teachers,

I �m a private tutor and I am teaching my students Passive Voice at the moment. I �m a little unsure about this:

Active sentence: Who puts that book on the table?

Should the Passive be:
 - Whom is that book put by on the table?

Or should it be:
- Who is that book put by on the table?

My supervisor said it was the second one, but the English teacher in my students � school it should be the first one.

I appreciate the help. Thank you beforehand, have a great day. :)

15 Mar 2010      

yanogator
United States

The very formal form is "By whom is that book put on the table?" (although the entire sentence, including the active, should probably be in the simple past, since the simple present is for repeated or habitual action, and this seems to be a one-time event).

The less formal would not be either of your answers, but "Who is that book put on the table by?" If the pronoun doesn �t follow the preposition, we don �t use "whom", at least in the US.

Bruce

15 Mar 2010     

red_sneakers
Indonesia

Thanks a lot. :) Yes, the sentence should have been in Simple Past. Guess I wasn �t thinking when I typed it.
So I guess if the active sentence is asking for the Object, then the passive sentence should be asking for the Subject, am I right?

Again, thanks a lot.

15 Mar 2010     

kmtr
United States

"By whom is that book put on the table" is right.  

The other ways are really confusing. 

15 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sorry, but why would anyone want to say "By whom is that book put on the table" (or even �by whom was... �) in the first place? There are some passive constructions it�s better not to use outside daft word games.

15 Mar 2010     

coyote.chus
Spain

I agree with Almaz. The passive is only used when we want to emphasize the object of a sentence and leave the subject of it unknown, or in a second step. If you want to ask who did something, then you are giving it some importance, so it would be better to say or write that sentence in the active voice, "who put(s) that book on the table?"

15 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Spot on, Chus! Of course, if we wanted to emphasise the agent and use the passive, we could also ask: that book was put on the table by whom

15 Mar 2010     

red_sneakers
Indonesia

Exactly. But schools here teach the weirdest forms of grammar and stuff so I think I better know about it just in case my students ask. :)

16 Mar 2010