Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > DOUBT!    

DOUBT!

Cibele
Portugal

DOUBT!

Can I say:

What �s your favourite singer/band?
It �s Michael Jackson. / It �s Black Eyed Peas.

Thanks

16 Mar 2010      

PhilipR
Thailand

I �d rather say:

Who �s your favourite singer or band?
It �s Michael Jackson. OK / It �s the Black Eyed Peas.

16 Mar 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

PhilipR
China

I �d rather say:

Who �s your favourite singer or band?
It �s Michael Jackson. OK / It �s the Black Eyed Peas.
Yeah, right Phil.

You need an article. We can use the definite article �the � when there is only one in the world!!! Like �the � moon. In this case, the Black Eyed Peas.

We always say "I love the Rolling Stones", but on the album cover you only see the words "Rolling Stones"

16 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Ah, but you use "the" only if the name of the band is a noun (or a noun with modifiers).

So, you �re right about "I love the Rolling Stones" and "I love the Beatles", but
I love Metallica
I love Smashing Pumpkins
I love Abba
I love Blondie
I love Def Leppard

Bruce

16 Mar 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Aren �t Metallica and Abba nouns? Smashing Pumpkins is a noun with a modifire as in Rolling Stones. Or both variants are possible with and without "the"?

16 Mar 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Aaaaaahhhhh!!! English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An exception to every rule!!!Wacko

16 Mar 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

hmm, I am guessing it also depends on if the band itself adds �the � to its name or no...

16 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

Actually we can only add �the � to a band when it is, for want of a better word, �countable �. For example, I would say �the Smashing Pumpkins � and �the Rolling Stones � but �Abba � �Bon jovi � �Metallica � and �AC/DC � for example. Basically, if the band has a �plural � name, we use the. So there is a rule! Although I �m sure it has exceptions!

16 Mar 2010