Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how do you call this?    

how do you call this?

ituska
Slovakia

how do you call this?

Thanks a lot :-)

16 Mar 2010      

jdrc
Spain

Hi, I would call it a Bodysuit. I imagine it depends also on the English speaking country. USA / UK etc... but bodysuit is ok.

16 Mar 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Good evening...

I agree with jdrc....but its also called a Popper Vest

16 Mar 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

And it can be called a onesie.

16 Mar 2010     

anabelacdn
Portugal

Yes, it �s a "onesie" or a "baby grow."  A  bodysuit is correct but not for babies.  In Canada I would call it a baby grow.    You know what you could do to see what word each country uses?  Check out catalogues on the web.  Canada �s most popular stores are Sears and The Bay!  In the USA,  try Macy �s or  JCPenny.  Hope this is useful!  :)

16 Mar 2010     

MapleLeaf
Canada

and also a baby snapsuit, baby grow

16 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

We call it a romper suit.  You can see google results about it here.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on the romper.  You can see them being worn by adults (females) in the movies from the 1950 �s and 1960 �s (but of course not any more).  It �s the second link on the result page.

16 Mar 2010     

ituska
Slovakia

Thank you so much, guys Thumbs Up
You helped me a lot... Honestly, I still do not know which word I will be using, because I have kids from different countries Wink Really confusing sometimes Confused (but bodysuit would be perfect as it is realy close to the Slovak translation)

one more question - how do you pronounce "onesie"?

OK, just want to explain why am I asking... I work in Kindergarten and there are really little kids in my class (2-3 years old). Some of them still wear this kind of clothes and I never know how to call it correctly. But as I said, kids are from different countries and none of them is native speaker. I dont want to make them confused (as i am now LOL)

16 Mar 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Onesie is pronounced "one" (as the number) and "zee"

16 Mar 2010     

lillizen
Brazil

Interesting:

"Onesie or onesize is American English for a bodysuit for infants designed to conceal a diaper when worn. It is also called a creeper, diaper shirt or snapsuit. The British English equivalent is babygro. Onesie is a genericized trademark registered to Gerber Childrenswear, Inc., which continues to defend its trademark.[1][2] Babygro is also a trademark brand, invented in the U.S. in the 1950s by Walter Artzt.[3]"

Source: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/onesie

16 Mar 2010     

ituska
Slovakia

ok, stop pleaaaase Wacko my head is getting bigger and bigger every minute...

Before I started the thread I had had no idea how to call this part of baby clothes. And now you gave me at least 8 new names... I think it is really enough for this late night hour. LOL

I love you all, did you know that? Thank you sooooooo much Clap

17 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >