Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Any ideas for FUN & ACTIVE energizers?    

Any ideas for FUN & ACTIVE energizers?

mischa
Philippines

Any ideas for FUN & ACTIVE energizers?

Hi! Can anyone share fun & active energizers for an early childhood seminar with 80-100 teachers?  Thanks for taking the time.. Clap

19 Nov 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi mischa, is it for early childhood teachers teaching esol? 

The reason I ask is that I usually use energizers to teach - in that your energizers are most effective if the teachers can use them with their own students.  Esol early childhood would need different energizers to solely early childhood

Thanks
Vicki

19 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Ideas for either:

Model for me - Call out an animal name and the students have to make a noise and model the animal.
- with adults you can extend this to other things like the queen she might wave to the crowd and say something queenly like - Thou ought bend thy knee in our presence.
If you get them really going as adults it not only teaches them a great game for the kids but gets a few great laughs. 

If you have a large open space my favourite energizer is to put people in teams of 6.  Give them a towel or a piece of newspaper.  Get them to stand on the towel one at a time - until everyone is on their �life-raft�.
Then challenge them to turn the raft (towel) over without anyone falling in the shark invested waters.  This is guaranteed to get them giggling and active.  A bit to challenging for pre-schoolers though.

A science experiment - this is great as little kids love doing this to.  this takes a fair bit of preparation - but is so worth the looks on their faces.  Give each group (6 people) a small container of milk, a bowl or saucer to pour the milk into. access to red, yellow and blue dye (food colouring is fine).  And a detergent bottle. 
1) pour milk into bowl
2) put a drop/dollop of each colour into the bowl - spaced widely apart
3) on your marks, get set, go - squirt a drop of detergent into your bowl.
- the colours go crazy and now you have a discussion on what colours you mix together to make other colours.
- for older kids you can use this as an experiment on how detergent works.
(I have seen this used as an energizer type activity for primary teachers - it was the most talked about activity!)

Throw either an imagenery ball (this is hilarious) or a real, soft ball.  Start a story chain - One wild and spooky night (emphasis with voice) throw the ball - each new person adds on 5 - 10 new words and then passes the ball.  You can make a rule that the two people either side of the speaker must add sound effects.

Put in groups of 6 (my magic adult number - 4 is my magic children number). Call out a letter of the alphabet, a game (football), action, number, song, movie - anything really.  The group have about 1 minute to form a freeze frame.  then you yell FREEZE and then ask one or two people to describe another groups freezeframe. It is like creating a human painting or statues.

Of course at the beginning of the conference I highly suggest a meet and greet scavenger hunt.  Give each person a list of things - one person who plays golf, one person who loves wearing barefeet etc - they have to go around the room collecting a name of a person for each item - has to be a different person for each item.  First person to finish gets a prize. 

If you want more let me know - but this is probably enough to get you started.

19 Nov 2008