Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > written forms    

written forms

saszka2
Poland

written forms

I sometimes have problems with written forms of words consisting of two words like: dishwasher, washing machine etc. I �m not sure whether I should write the two words separately, together or with a hyphen. The problem is that different sources of reference give different possibilities. For example my dictionary says that you should write the word ice cream separately(as 2 words), but a book for children says it should be written with a hyphen: ice-cream. Another example is voicemail which according to my dictionary should be written together (as 1 word), but according to the coursebook that I use with my students it should be written separately (as 2 words):i.e. voice mail. Are both forms correct? I feel confused:/ Please help.

17 Mar 2010      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

there aren �t rules for this - some compound nouns are with hyphen and others aren �t.
of the examples you mention this is my verdict -
ice cream
voicemail

17 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I�ve seen the compound noun table cloth written in 3 different ways and they are all correct: table-cloth, table cloth or tablecloth. Don�t worry too much about it as there are no clear rules!! ;))))

Here �s a quite interesting reading about your question: http://www.wilbers.com/part24.htm

17 Mar 2010