Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning online exercises > When will PDF support arrive?    

When will PDF support arrive?

chocmonster
Germany

When will PDF support arrive?

I strongly dislike using word as I find it messy, bloated and it alwys seems to interfere with my formatting.

When will ESLprintables enable PDF uploading?

PDFs, as I �m sure you know can be made from almost any programme, embed formatting and fonts, and look the same on every single computer.

Please let me know if you will offer this feature, the alternative is me setting up my own PDF supported website or using eslhandouts.com.

Kind regards,

Edd Turner

P.s. apologies is this question has been asked before, I found no easily accessible search function on your site.

17 Mar 2010      

juliag
Japan

Hi Edd and welcome to this fantastic site,

I hope you will come to love it as much as we all do.

In order to see some members � thoughts about what you suggest why don �t you enter "PDF format" in the forum search box below, like so:
Contents:

By the user:

Date: from     to     

I just tried it and found three threads which I think will help you to understand why most members here will continue to prefer Word to PDF.

Hope this helps answer your query.
Yours
Julia

17 Mar 2010     

Akanah
Spain

Good morning, Edd.

yes, we �ve already talked about this before, but it �s ok. You can follow this link http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=10777

BTW, if you want to find a previous post, just take a look at the bottom of the page

Search forum posts

Contents:

By the user:

Date: from     to     

Regards from Spain,
 Olga

17 Mar 2010     

FroggyClaudine
France

Well, Chocmonster,
I wouldn �t want to use PDF because unlike you buy the professional version, you can �t edit the ws. With word, nothing changes if you group the various items of the ws, it just stays the same. I much much prefer word to pfd.

17 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Chocomonster

Word is far more flexible than the basic PDF software that most people have.  In fact, eslhandouts.com, that you refer to,  allows you to upload both PDF and word versions but I find many members only upload word versions. 

Have you thought about furthering your Word skills?  The microsoft office site has free online tutorials to help you use your word program more effectively.  Furthermore, this site has fantastic free tutorials to help you make the most fabulous looking worksheets.

Naturally, if you �re not happy with the facilities of this site you are of course most welcome to start your own website or go to eslhandouts.com where they have a nice selection of a few hundred WS for you to choose from. I must say, some of their WS�s are excellent.

Cheers

Jayho

17 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

Hi chocomonster

To be honest, I think most people here would agree that word is more flexible than pdf. It �s not a criticism of people �s work but often we need to edit original files.

For example, today I needed a worksheet on comparatives for a young learners � class. I found a lovely worksheet with great activities but a couple of the words on it my students hadn �t studied. It took my approximately 20 seconds to change the words to ones my students knew and I had the perfect worksheet. Had that been a pdf document I would have had to print it out, break out the tippex, wait for it to dry, try to write the word as close to the orignal font as possible and photocopy it again. You can understand why people prefer word!

I believe, although it �s not my area of expertise, that you can put pdf files in word documents if you save them as pictures or something - I think there was a forum post about that a while ago. Of course, that still means that your document wouldn �t be editable which brings me back to my earlier point.

Hope that answers your query!

Lindsey

17 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

I like Word. It �s easy to use anв edit. As Ishorton said sometimes just a couple words need to be changed and it �s really fast with Word. With PDF it �ll take me forever.

17 Mar 2010