Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which one is correct ?    

which one is correct ?

conqueror_mko
Turkey

which one is correct ?

Barcelona is a great team.

It can beat all the rivals 

or

they can beat all the rivals.

17 Mar 2010      

cookingongas
France

I �d say they can beat...
I know the team is singular and they is plural, but that �s just one of the many joys of the rich language of English!

They sounds better because it places emphasis on the fact that the team is made up of a number of people. It �s the same when we �re talking about the police, the government or large companies.

All the best,

Charles.

17 Mar 2010     

kmtr
United States

I agree with Charles. Can �t really explain it, but that �s what I hear and I �d say.  

(Many fans will also make it 1st person plural--"We won last night!"  My husband thinks this is funny and always says "I didn �t know you were playing.")

:)

17 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

I �d use "they" too.

When a word is a collective noun. i.e. it refers to a group of people or things, then both the singular form and the plural are correct.

e.i.

The family is/are
The team is/are
The herd (of cows) is/are
The band is/are

17 Mar 2010     

lango
Thailand

i think �Barcelona are a great team � is better too

17 Mar 2010     

hongduyen
Vietnam

When the group is being considered as a single undivided body, then it goes with a singular verb, like The audience was enormous. But when it is being considered as members of the group, plural is more likely than singular, like The audience were enjoying every minute of it.

Hope this helps:))

17 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

I would say, "Barcelona is a great team. They beat all their rivals." (not the rivals)
Bruce

17 Mar 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

thank you all for your comments 

18 Mar 2010