Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > moccasins, loafers, slip-on shoes?????     

moccasins, loafers, slip-on shoes?????

silvia367
Spain

moccasins, loafers, slip-on shoes?????

Hi, I�m teching CLOTHES vocabulary with my students and I don�t really know the diference among MOCCASINS, LOAFERS and SLIP-ON SHOES? Help!!!!

Thanks

19 Nov 2008      

alex1968
Greece

HI Silvia

I think the easiest way to understand the difference between these shoes is if you have a picture of each one.
Why not go to www.google.com and type in each word individually...I�m sure some photos will come up.

Regards
Alex

19 Nov 2008     

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

I cannot really give you the definitions...but as the saying goes: "an image is worth more than a thousand words"

LOAFERS (i guess you use these with smarter, more elegant clothes)

MOCASSINS (maybe something you can use with jeans, more informally)
�SLIP-ON SHOES (more like trainers, a more sporty shoe...to go on sailing maybe) ��

I HOPE I�VE BEEN OF HELP!!!!!!!!!!

CHEERS

ALDANA

19 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hi Silvia, Smile

When I was younger I actually sold shoes!! And the difference is this - moccasins are a slipper type shoe, the type you�d wear about the house.

A loafer is a type of slip-on shoe usually used to designate a men�s type of shoe (but not always)... ..and a "slip on" can mean two things... it�s either referring to a backless shoe that you can "slip on" ... or it refers to a loafer or ballet slipper type shoe that is flat and doesn�t lace up.

19 Nov 2008     

blizzard1
Denmark

Moccasin (footwear), was originally worn by Native Americans, as well as hunters, traders, and settlers in the frontier regions of North America.

I hope this can be of some help.

19 Nov 2008     

DeannaCharles
United States

Loafers are casual hard soled shoes which normally have no adornments on top except a lateral band which goes across the top of the arch.

Mocassin design comes from Native American Indians.  They are normally soft soled with broad stiches and a variety of adornments. Designs and beadwork decorate the top.

Slip ons is a general term for any shoe which does not need fastening, laces, velcro, buckles, etc.  They can be open or close toed, high heeled or flat, casual, sporty or formal or even house shoes.  This includes mocassins and loafers, but we normally use their proper names.

19 Nov 2008     

silvia367
Spain

THANKS A LOT!!
YOU�VE BEEN REALLY HELPFUL

20 Nov 2008