Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELPPPP    

HELPPPP

mabevi
Chile

HELPPPP

HI EVERYONE:
MY BIG QUESTION IS: WHICH ARE THE VERBS THAT DON�T ADD "ING" IN PRESENT CONTINUOUS.... CAN YOU TELL ME, PLEASE.... I CAN�T REMEMBER....
THANKS A LOT!

20 Mar 2010      

serene
Greece

Check the following link.

Hope it helps.

20 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi mabevi, there are MANY verbs with don �t take the continuous form, such as : like, want, belong, detest, prefer,  etc .  Some of the most common are 1) verbs which express thoughts or opinions  2) verbs which express likes or preferences and 3) verbs which express states or possession . Hope this clears the picture for you !

20 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

Verbs which normally don �t take the continuous form are called �stative � or �state � verbs.

One very basic way to remember them is to think about the element of choi.

For example �hear � is stative - you don �t actively choose to hear - it �s something that happens naturally.

�Listen � is dynamic because you make the choice.

It �s not a rule which always works but it helps to distinguish between certain verbs, such as those connected with senses.

There are also verbs which are both stative and dynamic with different meanings - for example, �see �. If you see in terms of vision then it �s stative whereas �seeing � a person for an appointment, for example, is dynamic.

You should be able to find a fairly comprehensive list to learn on the internet if you search for stative verbs.

Hope that helps

20 Mar 2010     

mabevi
Chile

YOU`RE NICEEEEEEEEE PEOPLE.... THANKSSSSSSSS

20 Mar 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

hi,
be careful however, because some verbs like "like" can be found with an -ing form ex: "she was liking him more and more as the minutes went by" (can �t remember where i �ve found that example but it �s authentic)...
so you should say that USUALLY state verbs don �t go well with present/past continuous, but you can find some exceptions especially if the author of the text wants to put the emphasis on the evolution of the situation (here opposing "she liked" vs "she was liking")

take care

20 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

elojolie is soooo right ! I forgot such cases ...

20 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

elojolie makes a good point but be careful because such cases are only in the spoken form - never in written because they are technically incorrect - for example that annoying McDonalds slogan �I �m lovin � it! � - not good English. My feeling is also that it �s more common in the US than in my country (the UK) but I �d need an American to comment to confirm that!

20 Mar 2010     

L. habach
Morocco

I suggest that you try to get the list of non-progressive verbs on google or another search engine.

21 Mar 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

All verbs take -ING in the present continuous. Some verbs just aren �t used often in that tense (e.g. stative verbs like love, want etc.).

The only verbs that NEVER take -ING are modal verbs (e.g. can, must, may etc.). But then again, these verbs just can �t be used in the present continuous.

(BTW I �m referring to �can � as being able to, not as �canning tomatoes �). Pig

21 Mar 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Stative verbs aren �t used for the present continuous functions except for some exceptions that express and temporary situation or state like: admire, hope, care, assume, guess, look, have and all the verbs that are used to speak about perceptions and senses like: taste, feel, notice, observe, see, smell, persive, hear.  However all of the verbs for sense and perception can also be continuous. 

Selma is tasting the cakes now. (temporary situation)
The cakes taste delicious. (tha cakes taste a certain way or not)

I �ve sent you a PM in case you want some extra info I got. 

Xx

Elida

21 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >