Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Testing grammar using newspapers and magazines    

Testing grammar using newspapers and magazines

Jayho
Australia

Testing grammar using newspapers and magazines

Hi everyone

Has anyone ever tested grammar using newspapers, magazine articles and other realia?

If so, how did you design it?

Do you know of any journal articles or books that promote this method of testing grammar in preference to standardised tests?

Cheers

Jayho

21 Mar 2010      

MChappell
France

Hello
Yes, I have. I used articles based on plane crashes or New Zealand sailor Peter Blake �s murder, or articles dealing with the Death Penalty in the USA in particular. I think these are excellent contextualised texts for understanding how to use the passive voice and for writing essays that require it.

21 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi MChappell

Thanks for your reply - how did you design it it?  How did you mark it?  Did you find it subjective when marking? Were the students allowed to use a dictionary?

Have you ever done it for parts of speech or word formation?

I �m keen to make my assessments more relevant to everday application rather than the traditional grammar testing in isolation.  Students often score well on traditional tests but can �t apply it in real life.

Am struggling to find innovation in a traditional world.

Cheers  -  Jayho

21 Mar 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I take a published story and change the grammar around then have the kids find the mistakes.  I am a firm believer in using proofreading to aid grammar. It really works! 

21 Mar 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Hi JAyho,

I do it allthe time for grammar tenses and word formation. I simply take an article and erase and change all verbs to bare infinitives then I ask the students to put the verbs in to the correct tense. I follow the same procedure with word formation If the article is too difficult I either simplify it or a give them a small glossary. I hope that helps.

21 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Spagman63 and Mariamit

Thanks for your answers. I have done what you have both recommended as practice.  I found this  a great tool with adults and I �m now trying to develop it one step further where they identify and explain the grammar point in context through a discovery-like approach.  I got this idea from http://eolf.univ-fcomte.fr.

I�m hoping someone else does this and can give me some tips on how to make the most of it esp. with testing.

I�m also after some literature on it.

Cheers -- Jayho

21 Mar 2010