Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Another puzzling question I have....    

Another puzzling question I have....

Greek Professor
Greece

Another puzzling question I have....

Good Morning from sunny Athens...
Hope everyone is well... Sunday...AAAA!!!!!relaxation....No way...too much work...anyway...I have another puzzling question... Actually puzzling grammar point...in a test in the Masterind use of English for Proficiency.
Here it is...
"We don �t have a burglar alarm."
"Then it �s about time......"
a] for installing one
b] you install one
c] one was installing
d] to install one...

The answer according to the book is D

I know the applied rules for IT"S ABOUT TIME... BUT?...here says something else...I did some searching but came up with nothing....
Can someone please enlighten me again....

Thanks in advance

21 Mar 2010      

libertybelle
United States

I �m not sure what the problem is - but D is the only answer here.
If you could add the word THAT to the second answer- then you could also have answered:
Then it �s about time that you install(ed) one.

I really can �t help you by answering this grammatically, but perhaps someone else can.

L

21 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi GP

Actually, I think I use both D and B, with B in both the present and the past tense [lol].  You got me thinking so I googled it and found this blog that may help: http://punctilious.org/grammar/grammarlogs3/grammarlogs471.htm

Scroll down to 9 Dec (right down the bottom).

Cheers

Jayho

21 Mar 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

Hi! Here in Uruguay is not that sunny but.... Smile

Regarding your question, when I saw the example the first thing that came to my mind was the use of the it �s about time+ simple past: �Then it �s about time we installed one �. However in this case the infinitive can be used as well, for example; � It �s time to buy a new car �. (or it �s about time...) Sometimes it �s necessary to express the subject of the infinitive, the �for+object+infinitive � structure as follows: It �s time for her to go to bed. In your example we could say: �It �s about time for us to install one � as well but they just didn �t mention the subject which is implied.
Have a great Sunday!!!  

21 Mar 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Thanks everyone for your reply...

Libertybell thanks...

Jayho...I took a look at the site...thanks...seems reasonable...but here we have full infinitive...There sentence is as it is in the test...

lovemykids...thanks for your reply ..but ive been a teacher for years and have never come across "it �s about time with full infinitive...."
Full infinitive comes after "It �s time ......

thanks again...

21 Mar 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Im not happy with any of the answers.  "It �s about time" uses a subjunctive type construction.

It �s about time you installed one.

you could say-  it �s time to install one.

21 Mar 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Hi Effie,

Also if I remember my grammar correctly after �it �s (about) time � we use the subjective/ full infinitive  while the past subjunctive  is not usually possible. If you have Longman�s Grammar and Vocabulary for CAE and CPE by Side & ,Wellman check out the chapter on subjunctive. I think they mention the rule.   

21 Mar 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Thanks mariamit....it is enlightening.. but I still don �t have an appropriate answer...

I don �t have  the book you suggest.. but all the gramar books that i have and they are quite a few,  say nowhere about full infintive after about/ high time...
anyway.... thanks again for  taking the time...

21 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi GP

�It �s time � and �it �s about time � are often interchangeable.  We use �it �s about time � when we have already given that advice before, it wasn �t taken and now the issue has arisen again.

Swan PEU has a bit on it at 306 but it is in the past tense.  He mentions �it �s high time � but not �about time �.  �It �s high time � is typically British so maybe �it �s about time is American English �.  Downunder we use both.

Cheers -- Jayho

21 Mar 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hi Jayho...

It �s funny you should mention this...I too am from downunder but have Never seen nor used it �s high time/about time this way... and in my years of teaching [which are many].. have never seen it written anywhere ...until today ..thanks to my colleagues who found the time to answer my question...

Thanks again everyone...

21 Mar 2010     

mena22
Portugal

According to Michael Swan, you use "it �s (about/high) time" followed by Infinitive as in "It �s time to buy a new car", or with the structure for + object + Infinitive if it is necessary to express the subject: "It �s time for her to go to bed".

He also says that the expression "it �s time" can be used followed by past tense with present meaning, as in the examples: "It �s time she went to bed"; "It �s time you washed those trousers"; "I �m getting tired. it �s time we went home".

So, in the example you gave us, and according to Swan, the only option is d) - the structure it �s (about/high) time" followed by Infinitive.  For b) to be correct, the option would have to be "you installed one", in the past tense, and not in the Present - "you install one".

Hope I could help.
Hugs,
mena

21 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >