Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Fruit and vegetables    

Fruit and vegetables

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Fruit and vegetables

Could you please help me with this: I have made a dice with fruit and vegetables pictures. Is it correct to call it FRUIT AND VEGETABLES DICE or should it be FRUITS AND VEGETABLES DICE, if there are various kinds of fruits? Thank you a lot for your help.

21 Mar 2010      

Bahrain
Bahrain

fruits can be countable an uncountable so u can say fruits and vegetavles dice

21 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Dice is plural and die is singular.
You can also say Fruit and vegetables.

21 Mar 2010     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

I think dice is possible for singular in British English too, am I right ?

21 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Die is singular and dice is plural - when people say throw the dice and only have one - that � s because the language has been corrupted through use.

But it is not correct - at least not until the dictionary changes.

I �ve heard lots of people say stoled instead of stole.  That doesn �t make it correct - but it is used.

21 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Er...most dictionaries worth their salt have changed or, at least, you �ll find that they will say that dice as a singular is now considered standard usage - no mention of being incorrect. �Corrupted � is a pretty strong word when talking about a language which constantly evolves (when was the last time you used brethren as the plural of brother?)

Please don �t think I �m having a go at you personally, but I �ve never heard any native English speaker over the age of three use stoled. Actually, I�ve never heard anyone use it. Is it an American thing?

21 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

To all my brethren here on the site!

I have to agree with almaz. And I quote the Collins Advanced Learners Dictionary:

�In old-fashioned English, �dice � was used only as a plural form, and the singular was die, but now �dice � is used as both the singular and the plural form. �

Also - �stoled �? Not in a million years! I can �t speak for the USA but in the UK it would never be used by anyone who spent more than five minutes in primary school! If that makes it into a dictionary then I �m quitting my job to go and write poetry in outer Mongolia!

Having said that, I do now feel the urge to use �brethren � as often as possible. Along with �perspicacious � which one of my FCE students shamed me by using in class two days ago!

Have a lovely day everyone!

21 Mar 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

If you check in the Oxford dictionary  http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/dice?view=uk you will find that dice is now considered singular as well as plural in U.K.  dictionaries.  In American dictionaries dice is still plural.  I often hear �dice � as singular when people speak in Canada, when there is only one.

21 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, "dice" is becoming very common as singular in the US, too. It �s still at the point that someone around will always correct the person who uses it.

As for "stoled", many people here use incorrect past and past participle forms. A good friend of mine uses "seen" as the simple past of "see". I don �t think I �ve heard "stoled", but I �ve heard many other past forms that are just as wrong.

http://www.dictionary.com has only "die" as the singular.

Bruce

21 Mar 2010