Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > make or do?    

make or do?

angelme
Brazil

make or do?

Can you help me?

Which one is correct?

This is a golden oportunity for you; you should make the most of it.

OR

This is a golden opportunity for you; you should do the most of it.

Thanks in advance... :)

22 Mar 2010      

lovemykids
Uruguay

make the most of it!Smile

22 Mar 2010     

potentina
Spain

I agree with "lovemykids"!

22 Mar 2010     

eng789
Israel

make the most of it!  is correct.

22 Mar 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Yep, "make the most of it"

As for "do the most" - I told my hubby, "Here �s a load of ironing, do the most (of it) you can and I �ll do the rest"

HTH!

22 Mar 2010     

zhlebor
Indonesia

This is a golden opportunity for you; you should make the most of it is more correct.

Do can be an auxiliary verb (Do you like coffee?) or a main verb (I did my homework yesterday.). As an auxiliary verb, it has no meaning. It is necessary only for the grammatical structure. As a main verb it has a meaning, but the meaning is rather general. It often expresses a general activity.

Make is not an auxiliary verb. It is always a main verb (I made a cake yesterday.). Its meaning is also rather general, but it often expresses the idea of construction or creation.

Source : www.englishclub.com

22 Mar 2010     

zhlebor
Indonesia

Hi Angelme,

I have one of the worksheet related with this, if you want this kind of worksheet you can link at http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=73586#thetop

Thanks.
Romy

22 Mar 2010