Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > survival english    

survival english

suyunruyasi
Turkey

survival english

hi, everyone

tomorrow i am going to start to give lessons to a group of students and the focus of the lessons will be Survival English as the students are going abroad in a month.
 this will be the first time that i am going to experience something like this and i really do not know how to do the first lesson, what should i do ?? with which topics should I start ?? 
By the way, the students are adults and they are going abroad as a part of European Union projects. 

i am looking forward to your suggestions, thank you :)) 

22 Mar 2010      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Hi
depends on their level

beginners:
give and ask for personal details:
name, address, tel number, nationality, jobs

intermediate:
shopping, money, prices, travel on public transport
food/restaurants

do short role plays

you will find stuff on this site and books on englishtips.org

22 Mar 2010     

suyunruyasi
Turkey

thank you very much, i do not actually know their levels but i think they are elementary level adults. there are several students with different backgrounds, so i will learn tomorrow what their actual level is.

but i will use more or less the ones you mentioned above

thanks again 
best regards

22 Mar 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Check Boggles World.  The site has a section dealing with survival English.

23 Mar 2010     

marta v
Serbia

You could also ask them to make a list of originally English words that appear in their language, names of products, brands, shops etc. and let them translate what they mean. They could also guess which English words they would expect to find in public places in an English speaking country.

23 Mar 2010