Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What are they doing?    

What are they doing?

Larisa.
Russian Federation

What are they doing?

Hello dear friends!
I need your help. I �m preparing a board game about Easter + Present Continuous.
I �m going to place this picture

And what is the correct answer to the question?

What are the children doing? - They are painting eggs.
                                               - They are decorating eggs.
                                               - They are dying eggs.
    Thanks in advance. Have a nive day!

Larisa

23 Mar 2010      

shusu-euphe
Taiwan

Hi!

I would say They are painting the eggs.

23 Mar 2010     

sclail
Italy

Hi, they all work!

But I �d prefer painting or decorating - dyeing sounds less creative and more "all-over" colour.

Have fun!

23 Mar 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

I would say decorating the eggs..... Painting a picture........Decorating a varse........face painting...and so on.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOW Wink

23 Mar 2010     

phucduong87
Vietnam

Painting eggs is better, because you can see they use color pens to paint, I think.

23 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

"decorating",

--If you were dying them they would be submerged in dye.

--You could say they are painting them, but decorating can include painting and is (US) more often used.

23 Mar 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello :)
I usually say, paint the eggs and when we put some stuff on it, like stickers, I say decorate...though, some people say �let �s decorate the eggs � meaning just putting paint on them. You can also say dye the eggs...nothing wrong with it.

23 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

I definitely agree with Douglas on the US usage of decorating the eggs. Here it is very common just to dye them, but these children are doing more than that.

Bruce

23 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I �m in agreeance with Douglas.

I would say that they are decorating the eggs.  Painting is ok too but not what we would say.  They are definitely not dying them but of course this might be the next step.

23 Mar 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot everyone! I appreciate your help a lot! Now it �s everything clear!!! I knew that all these words could be used but I couldn �t really get the difference. It �s OK now! THANKS again!!! :) Hugs from Siberia!

23 Mar 2010