Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please, help me to understand this 2-line joke!!    

Please, help me to understand this 2-line joke!!

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Please, help me to understand this 2-line joke!!

Hi folks!! :))))

I came across this 2-line joke today and I don �t understand the punchline:

Why did the fisherman put peanut butter into the sea?
To go with the jellyfish.

Of course I know what peanut butter is and what a jellyfish is, but I still don �t get the joke! Sorry for being so stupid and thanks a bunch for helping me out of my misery. ;))))))))))

Warm regards from sunny Germany, topolina

23 Mar 2010      

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

It refers to "peanut butter and jelly (jam)" sandwiches. Most kids (people) in North America like to eat their peanut butter with jam/jelly...

Cheers,

Linda

23 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

What a combination!! YUCK!! Dead

LOL

Thank you so much dear Linda! :))

23 Mar 2010     

nanaduhalde
Argentina

Hi Topolina!!!
 Speaking about combinations, here in Argentina we are used to eating bread with butter and dulce de leche, what could be similar to what american children consume (one salty taste + one extra sweet taste)... Have a nice day!!! Nana

23 Mar 2010     

dennismychina
China

Hi Topolina, Don �t knock it till you �ve tried it. A butter, Peanut butter and apricot jam sandwich is to die for. We also combined peanut butter with Golden Syrup. And I �m not an American.

Enjoy.

23 Mar 2010     

johanne23232
Israel

Hi Topolina, I agree with what everyone has said, but I must say the joke could have been worded better! I think "To catch the jellyfish" would be more logical than to �go with �.....but anyway, you get the idea!
Try it, it �s delicious!

23 Mar 2010     

Stepha
Portugal

It �s refering to a kind of sandwich very much appreciated by Americans: peanut butter and jelly. In their opinion nothing goes better with peanut butter than jelly and children eat it very often. Hope I helped

23 Mar 2010     

stexstme
France

...Still...Not funny.Disapprove
Thick-Sylv.

23 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Don �t worry, in Germany some weird people eat Leberwurst and Nutella on bread. That �s liver sausage (some kind of meat spread) and a sweet spread consisting of hazelnuts and chocolate. I wouldn �t want to eat that, either!!

Sylv, I �m with you; this joke is not funny for �non-Americans �!! ;)))))))))))

Thanks to everyone for their explanations! :))

23 Mar 2010     

stexstme
France

Remind me of NOT going to Germany without taking some decent food around!!!!!!!LOL
Well, I guess civilized people have their Nutella with ... sausages!!!!!!!!!
I �m not biaised, am I ?????????( spelling ? Hmmm )
LOLLOL
Ps : Expecting a �coming out � of some kind - any time........
Nasty me... ????

23 Mar 2010