Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What īs the difference between for example and such as?    

What īs the difference between for example and such as?

caren_630
Egypt

What īs the difference between for example and such as?

Dear teachers
Is there a difference between for example and such as other than punctuation? If yes, What is the difference?

23 Mar 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi caren, I guess the main difference, other than punctuation as you say, is that we usually use such as to give one word examples , e.g.  I love fruit such as melon, orange and peach.
For example can be for one word or for a whole idea , e. g.  What would he do if , for example ( or for instance ) she came late to her exam ?
I know more differences come to mind when speaking, but that īs the most significant one I can think of !

23 Mar 2010     

sulekra
Australia

There is no difference whatsoever, you can use such as with phrases.
-There are many ways to increase English knowledge, such as watching many English films or going on a holiday to Australia.
For example is slightly more formal, and can also be used after the example, while such as can īt be.
-Curry, for example, is one the many foods Indians have introduced to Britain.

27 Mar 2010