Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > like + plural, like + singular (without article / this / your...) ?    

like + plural, like + singular (without article / this / your...) ?

moravc
Czech Republic

like + plural, like + singular (without article / this / your...) ?

I think this is ok: She likes ice-cream. She likes watching TV. She likes rabbits.

I have always seen sentences following these rules:

Subject like activity+ing. Subject like to bare verb.

Subject like uncountable noun. Subject like plural countable noun.

Subject like this/the/your singular countrable noun.

I have never seen: Subject like noun. (no article / possessive / pronoun)

She likes rabbit. She likes ant. She likes cherry. She likes computer. She likes turtle.

She doesn�t like snake. She doesn�t like lemon. She doesn�t like scorpion. She doesn�t like shark.

Are these sentences correct???

23 Mar 2010      

lshorton99
China

She likes rabbit is correct if you are talking about the food - it �s the same as She likes chicken - She likes rabbits means the animal.

You could also say She doesn �t like lemon - meaning the flavour or the colour as opposed to the fruit.

The rest are incorrect.

Hope that helps!

23 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

Yes, ishorton is correct. The sentences need an article or determiner. - Although, "she doesn �t like shark." also falls into the chicken or rabbit category! Yum... or yuck! LOL

23 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

That�s just what I thought... :-)
When we talk about animals and fruits, we should add plural -s...
When we talk about uncountable meat or flavour, we can use singular...

I like chickens because they are so cute. I like sharks because they are so strong!
He doesn�t like lemons because they are sour.
I like chicken/shark (meat).
He doesn�t like lemon (flavour / ice-cream...)

The problem is: many students tend to omit the determiners / articles...

24 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

People eat sharks, Linda? Next you �ll be telling me that unicorns aren �t real... Wink

24 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

*gasp* What do you mean unicorns aren �t real? Shocked Of course, they are! So are leprechauns and Santa Claus! Wink 

24 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Guess what! We can meet Rusalkas near a lake or a forrest... Really!
Rusalkas are soo beautiful! Remember The Little Mermaid?
Rusalka is the most beautiful creature in the world. She can dance beautifully, she almost flies in the air and she can sing nicely... She often helps kids in need...
For those who get seasick: forget mermaids, search for rusalkas :-)

24 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

Ok - i �m off to find me a Rusalka! Perhaps I can ask a unicorn to show me the way...

24 Mar 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Linda

Forgot about about the monster of Lochness? or don �t you like that guy?

For me they are all lovely friends, and I invite them, quite frequently, to have dinner, or just a cup of tea.

What will we be, if we didn �t have all these supercalifragilixexperalidous friends?

" Good night ladies, we �re going to leave you now
Merrily you roll around, roll around........."

kisses
linda

24 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Shark is a definite "yum"! It is fish that has a texture closer to steak than to most fish. Swordfish is similar in taste and texture.

Bruce

24 Mar 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

Here in Brazil shark is one of the favorite fish, but I don �t know if people are aware of what they are eating, because it has a different name when referring to food. If it had the same name as the animal, I guess it �d be "yuch�; with another name, definitely "yum".

24 Mar 2010