Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help............."a glass of milkshake" or "a cup of milkshak"     

help............."a glass of milkshake" or "a cup of milkshak"

queeniewang0428
Taiwan

help............."a glass of milkshake" or "a cup of milkshak"

Dear all,
I have a questionConfused
Shuould I say "a glass of milkshake" or "a cup of milkshake"

Thanks^^

24 Mar 2010      

American Teacher
United States

When we order a milkshake, we usually just ask for "a milkshake". We do not use glass or cup.

"I�ll have a large chocolate milkshake."

The only time we usually ask for a glass of something, especially when at a restaurant, is for a glass of wine.
When the waitress/waiter asks us what we want to drink, we usually answer- a coke, pepsi, coffee, tea, etc.

When ordering from a take out or drive through (like McDonald�s) we usually order a coke. They ask what size- small, medium, or large.

In America, we usually do not specifiy what the liquid should come in. We already assume that most things come in cups. Cold beverages come in one type of cup, and hot beverages come in cardboard or styrofoam cups.

Glass is for cold liquids (they break if hot liquid is poured into them) and cups or mugs are for hot liquids.

24 Mar 2010     

djbarry
Ireland

we usually dont use a quantifier...DJ Barry

24 Mar 2010     

steve ESL
United States

"I �d like a milkshake" is enough.

Or, as others have said, "a chocolate milkshake", "a large chocolate milkshake", etc.

24 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Yep ... just ask for a milkshake

"Can I have a [flavour] milkshake please"

24 Mar 2010