Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Advice on end of term certificates wanted    

Advice on end of term certificates wanted

juliag
Japan

Advice on end of term certificates wanted

Hi everybody,
If you don �t mind I �d like to ask your advice.

For the last few years I �ve been giving certificates to the students who tried really hard at the end of each term. I �m thinking of changing the system and giving certificates to all the students and writing comments suitable for that child on each, so that the weaker students also feel motivated to study harder.

My first question is, do you think (and I know this will be subjective but wanted to hear some opinions) it �s better to single out the hardest working students for this reward or to give them to all the students with comments matched to each individual?

Secondly, after an experience a few years back when only a couple of students in a class wanted to take an English test but when I gave them their certificates in front of the other students, some of the other children got very upset saying it was unfair of me to give the certificates out in front of everyone when not everyone had one (contrary to my expectations which was that it would inspire them to try the test the next time, too!! how little we sometimes know), I have been sending the end of term certificates to students in the post to avoid this kind of problem.

However, this time one mother suggested that she thought it would be better if I could give the certificates out in front of everyone as then the students who received them would feel so proud of their achievement and (same as I initially thought) the other students would feel inspired to study harder.

My second question, which do you think is better, a) to give the certificates out in front of everyone where they can compare either who got them or, if I gave to everyone, what is written on them, or b) to continue to post the certificates to my students � homes?

Thanks in advance for all your helpful advice.
For those of you who are on spring vacation like me I hoep you �re enjoying it, and I hope the rest of you are having a good week at school.

With love to all.
Julia

24 Mar 2010      

Zora
Canada

Geez, kids nowadays are so sensitive! In my day, only the best in the class got rewards and many tried to strive to do better. Now they cry at how insensitive that is to others... lazy buggers... *grumbles at this*

Now after that short rant. lol

I think you could give everyone a certificates but I really think that the harder working ones could receive a "special" one perhaps? Something that singles them out in an inconspicuous way - like a gold star on theirs or a totally different certificate - so that they know that their effort has been appreciated.

24 Mar 2010     

skittles
United States

I guess it depends what you consider a hard worker.  Even students that struggle or may not be passing may be "trying harder" than other students. I teach first grade and I give certificates to everyone- because everyone tries hard at something (ok, well most of them).  But I do give out certificates appropriate to each students skills.  I do like your idea of giving each student a certificate and writing a comment on it. 

24 Mar 2010     

miss noor
Palestine

Hi,

For the first question, it is nice to give all sts certificates matched to each individual.
This is a nice way to encourage them. Most of them will like it especially if there are many nice smiles , stars and any nice pictures.

Seocndly, it is better to give your sts the certificates out as you said to feel proud.

Best Regards,
Noor

24 Mar 2010     

juliag
Japan

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, much appreciated. If anyone has any more will be only too happy to hear them. Goodnight all.

24 Mar 2010